Feature Request - Move Files Across Volumes

Russell

Hi Murat and the Daminion Team,

I have a few volumes in my workflow. One is my backup in the field (a 500 GB HyperDrive), which is transferred to one of several 1TB USB drives - which all gets brought home and then loaded onto a NAS device. From there, after removing duplicates and sorting into dated folders, I load all my images into Daminion.

I then browse my photos - in Daminion. The "keepers", I move to another NAS device (which has offsite backup).

For whatever reason I can't move files, in Daminion, in this fashion... or maybe I don't know the "proper way" to do it. This is the error I get:

post-1020-0-85019200-1395538184_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Russell

• 2 months later...

Murat and Team,

Would it be possible to add Cut/Paste ability for folders so I can move my files around directly within Daminion?

I've also noticed that sometimes when I try to move files (if I don't wait for the thumbnails to display first) then Daminion says it can't move some files because they're in use by another system - Daminion's thumbnail system. It'd be nice to avoid this one, if you can.

Thanks,

Russell

• Upvote 1

I simply want to be able to move files from

\\NASone\Photos

to

\\NAStwo\Photos

Seems I can't do that from within Daminion.

I've just moved files from

\\server1\Photos

to

\\server2\Photos

by the next ways:

- Moved "\\server1\Photos" to "\\server2\Photos" by Windows Explorer

- Right clicked on the "\\server1\Photos" folder in the tags tree and selected the "Relink Folder" item.

- Then specified the "\\server2\Photos" folder

• 2 weeks later...

Moving folders through relinking have an issue: subfolders don't merge but keeps separate.

Eg. if I have a folder Folder1 with subfolders Sub1, Sub2 and Folder2 with subfolders of the same names. After relinking there will be duplicated Sub1 and Sub2.

And another issue: it's impossible to relink several selected folders. Even if they're all resides in the same parent folder.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem. My NAS is full and I want to move the files to a new NAS. The main problem is with those files that have metadata only in the database and not in the files or on the file system. With these files I could simply rescan the folder (although it takes hours ans hours).

• 4 months later...

I have a bit of a different use case but moving files from within Daminion between catalogue AND file system would be an important improvement, to me.

I need to move /selected/ items to another location, so not complete directories. Being able to select a set of files - which can be across different folders - and than move them would be a BIG time saver compared to finding and moving individual files on the file system and then needing to rescan all the different folders where they are removed (and added).

But it can also be useful when I need to correct timestamps on files and move them to the correct physical location (as everything is organised on date in my workflow).