Optimize Catalog

rene

Hey Community,

how often should I optimize the catalog, after every import? Once a month?

Last time (months ago) after I optimized the Catalog the Catalog wasn't working anymore.

So what is your suggestion?

thanks René!

Hello,

the question is: what is the optimize doing? From my point of view it makes sense after a lot of removes, deletes etc. when the database table space have to be adjusted.

I don't know if some "dead" entries remain in the tables even if the file itself is already deleted or removed from catalog and the "remove" doesn't delete all entries from the tables and this is done by the "optimize" function.

regards, Uwe

Uwe is right - it make sense to launch Optimize command after a lot of tag and file deletions. Plus Optimize will remove empty readonly tags and unlinked thumbnail files.

Optimize command will be updated soon to better work with large catalogs.

Running it one or two times per month will be enough in most case.

What is an "empty readonly tag"?

Does it mean that if I built a tag structure, and not all the tags are assigned to files, than it would be wise to never use the optimize menu command? If yes, well, maybe a "do you want to destroy your structure or not" question would be good before Daminion starts it. :)

Because now it starts right after you clicked the command, and it says that it can work more than an hour, which is another reason to ask about it first, maybe someone just trying out the menu commands or clicked it accidentally. :D

What is an "empty readonly tag"?

Does it mean that if I built a tag structure, and not all the tags are assigned to files, than it would be wise to never use the optimize menu command? If yes, well, maybe a "do you want to destroy your structure or not" question would be good before Daminion starts it. :)

Because now it starts right after you clicked the command, and it says that it can work more than an hour, which is another reason to ask about it first, maybe someone just trying out the menu commands or clicked it accidentally. :D

Hello Mammut,

these are the "technical" tags like Lens, Camera, ISO, focal length. You can't define them. They are created by the import process. In the past there were a lot of "useless" entries. When files were imported to test something from other cameras, other lenses etc. and after the tests the files were deleted these entries remained in the catalog. Its value was 0 and one could not delete them. This is now done by the optimization.

Regards, Uwe