Feature Request - Failed List

Russell

Hi Murat and Team,

I still struggle to have Daminion identify and add all my files to the catalog. I fully admit that I have a very diverse collection of images - about 100,000 - from over 100 different cameras - plus some insane Photoshop files (in the dozens of GB category)... but I'm lost that some of my files never get added to the catalog/database.

I really need Damionion to scan every single file in the folders/subfolders I point it to - and then either add the file to the database - or record what file it didn't add - and specifically why it was unable to add it.

Ideally this would be a Window item - like the one available from "Windows-->Folders" that would show the folders, then a grouping of files that weren't added, and why they weren't added. Reasons could include "unsupported file format", "corrupt file", etc. (The same folder area could show files that were added, if that's useful to others?) Something like this:

C:\Photos\

--Family\

----Failed\

------Mom.jpg - File corrupt

------Dad.zip - Unsupported Filetype

--Friends\

----Failed\

------Paul.jpg - Unable to Read (Network connection may have been lost)

Regrettably, for the current photo project I'm working on, Daminion identifies 60,229 images, while iMatch finds 70,137 and LightRoom finds 64,932.

It's just challenging to work in Daminion and not know what files I might be missing. :-(

Thanks,

Russell

100% agree.

The minimum can be to show in the Folder Panel the total number of files in the folder, independend wether they are imported or not. If there are performance issues one can see the total number of files only by click e.g. ALT-Shift or any other key combination.

Regards, Uwe

It would be awesome if this feature matched exactly the count that I see when I right click a folder and see it's properties in Windows. That way I'd know that Daminion has reviewed EVERY file in EVERY subfolder of the folder structure.

I have photos spanned across many drives on my NAS and I think sometimes it sleeps a drive to save power, before Daminion gets a chance to scan it... and then when Daminion tries to access the files, the NAS "wakes" the drive, but it isn't quick enough for Daminion to wait for it.

I've been forced to just rescan over and over again... each time getting more files.

It'd be nice if there was a way to set a delay on "media unavailable" - if I could get Daminion to request a file, then wait five seconds and try again, it'd probably work perfectly. :-)

Thanks,

Russell

It would be awesome if this feature matched exactly the count that I see when I right click a folder and see it's properties in Windows. That way I'd know that Daminion has reviewed EVERY file in EVERY subfolder of the folder structure.

If you do a count in Windows (Explorer) on a folder it will actually count every file (even non-media files) like that terrible "Thumbs.db" or other system generated files. Photshop under Mac generates always a second ._<orignal_file_name>.jpg file next to the original file. Having a count of e.g. 9999 files in Daminion and 10000 files counted by Windows because of 1 Thumbs.db still give you frustrations (at least it will to me :-p ).

Nevertheless having some import issues my own (see my bug report earlier today) the simple thing would be just an error list. The next thing could be some reason as to why they failed to import. So +1 for me too for the idea :-)

Thanks for the suggestion and for the discussion. My thoughts about this task:

- We can increase the time-limit to checking the file existence from 5 sec to 10 sec (because of the NAS drives that should return from the sleep mode)

- We can display a report after importing, but for KNOWN formats only.

Sounds like a good start, Murat... I shouldn't have any non-supported files in my folders, so I guess I'd appreciate it if Daminion pointed out those files so I can relocate them.

Even better if it allows me to SELECT THEM and then MOVE them to another location. :dance4:

Thanks,

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the code: we display report after import with something happens with importing files that prevented them for importing: duplicates, access rights issue, errors.

However Daminion don't import files from ~Versions folders. Could you please check how many files do you have in the ~Versions folder?

Does it possible to check the issue by formats, one by one, for example:

- Open the Help > Supported Media Format in Daminion

- Open Windows Explorer and paste file extensions of a certain media format

For Jpeg format the search mask will be "*.jpg; *.jpe"; *.jpeg" without quotes

- Then compare the number of found files with statistic in Daminion

If you'll see any mismatches and found some files that weren't imported into Daminion, then we could analize the issue based on the "problematic" files.

• 4 months later...