Picasa Face Import by using AvPicFaceXmpTagger

rene

Hey folks,

I know this is not directly related to Daminion and Daminion Server.

I tried to find a workaround for the Picasa Face import.

I found the Software AvPicFaceXmpTagger_1.7

But I can't figure out how to make it wirk with Daminion.

attached is a screenshot of the Mainmenu, maybe you guys have an idea on how to make it work.

post-1019-0-27331400-1382640723_thumb.png

thanks rene

• 1 month later...

continue playing with this software.

I need to import picasa faces to daminion. it has to be possible at some point

I really don't understand why Daminion can't read the mwg regions tags from the files, it's used by the new picasa versions. It would be so simple and problem solved.

But you can create a batch file to move the data from that group into another tag group like People using exiftool. After that you can rescan or import the images to daminion. But it's so frustrating and complicated (or time consuming) to use always other programs.

Well, i'm not an exiftool guru, and i don't have my command line examples anymore, so i don't know the exact line, you need something like this: exiftool regionname>people

You can find info about the correct mwg region tag syntax here:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/MWG.html

Picasa is saving the infos there in RegionArea, RegionName, etc.

Here are some examples:

http://130.15.24.88/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=4097.0

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=5169.0

And use test files first. :)

ok thanks Mammut,

I will take a look.

Eventhough I still hope that they will include this into Daminion or even include the face reognition like picasa does it with the location of the faces. I mean it is a must have.

Sure, a built-in face recognition would be cool.

Or even a simple picture area labeling system, without any automatic feature would be great. So we could select rectangles (which can be turn on or off if you want to see them or not) on the image and assign tags to them. (A tag here doesn't need to be limited to People, because i would use this feature for maps, objects, etc., too, if it's possible, and why not? and those are Place and Keywords.)

This technique would be better than the current tag system for images where there are too much people/things, like images of crowd, stars and constellations, etc, because it's an extra information, it tells where is that tag on the image.

And later Daminion could use that system to import picasa's area data, where we can work with automatic features. And after that in the future there could be an automatic recognition feature in Daminion, too. But I think the base is a simple labeling system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rene,

by the way, I just find out the right command line:

exiftool "-RegionName>XMP-iptcExt:PersonInImage" x.jpg

this will copy the picasa name(s) to the people tag

if we could find out how the face tag thing will work in Daminion, we could create custom tags for the region areas and copy those values, too

but now at least we can work with the names

i know that somehow we can add this command line as an external tool to daminion (i did it in the past when i changed original dates in the metadata, but i don't remember the exact process), that way we don't have to use cmd.exe

regards,

mammut

Hey Mammut,

thanks for that. Let's see what Murat says.

Do I only enter this into the Commandline? Where do I specify the path to the pictures?

thanks rene

well, if you have no experience with command line tools, first try it with test files

1. run cmd.exe

2. drag exiftool.exe there, so there will be the full path and the exe file

3. type the middle part with the " marks

4. drag a jpg file

(if you want to modify more files at once, than with the cursor button step back and rewrite the jpg filename to *.jpg, so it will modify all of the jpg files in that directory)

5. [enter]

but as i said you can add this command as an external tool, and then you just select the files in daminion, run the command line as external tool, than rescan the directory, the names will be there in daminion

well, if you have no experience with command line tools, first try it with test files

1. run cmd.exe

2. drag exiftool.exe there, so there will be the full path and the exe file

3. type the middle part with the " marks

4. drag a jpg file

(if you want to modify more files at once, than with the cursor button step back and rewrite the jpg filename to *.jpg, so it will modify all of the jpg files in that directory)

5. [enter]

but as i said you can add this command as an external tool, and then you just select the files in daminion, run the command line as external tool, than rescan the directory, the names will be there in daminion

Thanks Mammut,

the external program sounds good. I will try to find out, otherwise I hope, that Murat will answer tomorrow

Right click on a file, Open with -> Define External Tool...

On the Viewers tab click the Add button

Search for exiftool.exe, it's in Daminion's ImageProcessors directory

Edit the name to a better one like Read Picasa Names or something

Edit the arguments to this:

"-RegionName>XMP-iptcExt:PersonInImage" {Filename}

Don't add it to the editors, because it wants to check out the image every time, it's annoying

Ok

And it's done, you can select more files, it will edit all, but of course each one after another, unfortunatelly there is no bulk command this way, at least i can't find out how it could be done

After the command, right click, Actions -> Read Tags from file and the People will be not empty anymore

I'm using | marks in Picasa for the names, it's ugly in Picasa, but that way there will be a correct hierarchy in Daminion.

Now we need only some annotation feature in Daminion to see who is who on the image. :D Not just a rectangle one, it would be great if we can use simple arrows, too.

And it's done, you can select more files, it will edit all, but of course each one after another, unfortunatelly there is no bulk command this way, at least i can't find out how it could be done

Hello,

I use this way to adjust the metadata or sometimes to convert the RAW to the DNG format because it works parallel. That means: if you select 10 files in the Thumbnail View and you go on as described by Mammut, in this case the ExifTool is called 10 times in parallel. You can see the parallel opened CMD window.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

well, yeah, it can be faster.

But it can be slower, too, if the hdd can't handle that much process at once. So I think it needs some experience to find out what's the ideal file count.

In Picasa I have waiting 30000 files now, I guess it would be a little too much. :) (I think I will do it *.jpg in cmd.exe, and go to sleep. :) )

I have realy not much experience with cmd, therefore I decided to go with the external tool thing.

I mean it would be great to find a program like the one above to do this action, since this software is very fast.

I have about 120k images maybe 3/8 are full of faces. Picasa is still searching.

I like the Custom Tag Idea of Mammut, in order to save the location information of the faces, but from my point of view, the process shouldn't delete the picasa tags until Daminion can scan for images itself until than I need to use picasa in order to get this task done

I have realy not much experience with cmd, therefore I decided to go with the external tool thing.

I mean it would be great to find a program like the one above to do this action, since this software is very fast.

I have about 120k images maybe 3/8 are full of faces. Picasa is still searching.

I like the Custom Tag Idea of Mammut, in order to save the location information of the faces, but from my point of view, the process shouldn't delete the picasa tags until Daminion can scan for images itself until than I need to use picasa in order to get this task done

Yeah, we couldn't do much with the location information at this time.

By the way, IF there will be an annotation feature in Daminion, I hope we can edit the location information, resize the rectangle, reposition the arrow, etc. That's what I hate in picasa, sometimes I see later that a thumbnail is not the best, but I can't reposition or resize the rectangle, I have to delete and add it again, it's just stupid.

Yeah, we couldn't do much with the location information at this time.

but we should save them as a custom tag for later usage!

By the way, IF there will be an annotation feature in Daminion, I hope we can edit the location information, resize the rectangle, reposition the arrow, etc. That's what I hate in picasa, sometimes I see later that a thumbnail is not the best, but I can't reposition or resize the rectangle, I have to delete and add it again, it's just stupid.

I agree with you!