ETA on synonyms and Controlled Vocabulary?

Mammut

Hi,

I really need these features (and others which are not yet in Daminion), so I bought another program, which has a new version in beta, and I tried to help in the testing but the developer wasn't happy about it.

I never liked to bother anyone so I'm back in this friendlier environment, but I need to ask:

is there any ETA on controlled vocabulary and synonyms?

Thanks,

mammut

Hi mammut,

just a question: do you want to use the CV for the keyword tags?

There is a download link (http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/download.html) for CV for Lightroom. Did you test it to import these tags in Daminion?

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

I bought that vocabulary in March and I can import it but I can't use the synonyms part of it.

I started to use it in Lightroom but I always realize that I hate Lightroom when I start using it again, it's slow, there are too much limits.

And of course I think there will be better support for this feature in Daminion when that grayed out option in the menu becomes active. :)

Regards,

mammut

Hi Uwe,

I bought that vocabulary in March and I can import it but I can't use the synonyms part of it.

I started to use it in Lightroom but I always realize that I hate Lightroom when I start using it again, it's slow, there are too much limits.

And of course I think there will be better support for this feature in Daminion when that grayed out option in the menu becomes active. :)

Regards,

mammut

are there any alternatives to that vocabulary? I guess I can't write these files tags into the exif files right?

rene

are there any alternatives to that vocabulary? I guess I can't write these files tags into the exif files right?

rene

Well, they are just a collection of a lot of keywords, but they are already hierarchically organized with groups and synonyms. And the synonyms are not just synonyms, there are the latin names of plants and animals, too, so it's a great database. That's what I'd like to expand into a bilingual keyword hierarchy.

Okay, I could just edit the text file in excel but it's boring. It's better to work with them while I'm tagging the images. :)

So these are normal keywords, you can assign what you need to the files and write them into the exif like any common keywords.

I don't know that the synonyms how will work in Daminion. I think it would be better if we could choose to not save synonyms into the files but use them in searches. But I know that many people who are uploading images to websites, put all the synonyms into the files.

mammut

• 2 weeks later...

the main reason why i want the tags inside the files, is that even if the server breaks down I can simply import everything again and windows can find it as well

In this case it's better to backup your database or backup an Export of your tags.

Storing synonyms in images will be redundant (except for exporting images because they are un-linked from the database) because Synonyms are properties of the Tags but not Images.

Mammut: Is there any ETA on controlled vocabulary and synonyms?

This feature is existed in our feature list, but without a deadline. I cann't say an exact time when we'll announce Daminion release version (an early build will be available on this week in this forum) .

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Does the Road Map follow a timeline or calendar?"

I don't know, but i'm refreshing the forum like 50 times per day. :D The first two things are already there in the new builds, so it can happen anytime.

This is one of the bigger things i was waiting for a long time. (The other big is the relation between the tags.)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are synonyms and controlled vocabulary different features?

Of course, the synonyms are just other names for tags (okay, not tags, it only works with keywords), and a controlled vocabulary is an existing keyword/group/synonym hierarchy with thousands of logically preorganized keywords, so you don't have to build up one from scratch, and you can modify/expand it to your needs. I don't know how we would use it in Daminion, I think the best method would be if it would be a global keyword list which can accessible from any Catalog.

Although I can't find anymore the controlled vocabulary menu option, and it was deleted from the roadmap, too, so I think that feature is silently cancelled. I don't say that I bought a vocabulary for nothing because I can import it at the import tags feature, although the groups are not working as Daminion can only handle root groups, and of course I have to modify manually all of my catalogs if I change anything, so it's not perfect and rather annoying.

Of course, the synonyms are just other names for tags (okay, not tags, it only works with keywords), and a controlled vocabulary is an existing keyword/group/synonym hierarchy with thousands of logically preorganized keywords, so you don't have to build up one from scratch, and you can modify/expand it to your needs. I don't know how we would use it in Daminion, I think the best method would be if it would be a global keyword list which can accessible from any Catalog.

Although I can't find anymore the controlled vocabulary menu option, and it was deleted from the roadmap, too, so I think that feature is silently cancelled. I don't say that I bought a vocabulary for nothing because I can import it at the import tags feature, although the groups are not working as Daminion can only handle root groups, and of course I have to modify manually all of my catalogs if I change anything, so it's not perfect and rather annoying.

Controlled Vocabulary is fully supported in the latest Daminion versions.

In fact the Controlled Vocabulary is your Tag Structure. It has all the features now to say that Daminion completelly supports the controlled vocabulary:

- Controlled vocabulary supports synonyms. Not for keywords only, but also for Categories, People, Custom Tags, etc...

- You can import your Controlled Vocabulary from or export it to a text file, including synonyms (will be written in {} brackets)

- In the Team Server version it's possible now to lock your controlled vocabulary (certain tags in the Tags tree) from changes by others.

- We are waiting a special version of the CV from David Rieck for the Daminion.

So you can't find a "controlled vocabulary" command in the Daminion, but your tags tree is the full featured Controlled Vocabulary along with the options I mentioned above.

But in the controlled vocabulary there are tag groups in deeper level of the hierarchy, not just in the root as in Daminion, so not everything is fully supported now.

In example:

animals

wildlife

reptile

{Reptilia}

[ALLIGATOR & CROCODILES]

{Crocodilia}

alligators

{Alligatoridae}

Alligator Cuvier

alligator mississipiensis

crocodile

{Crocodylidae}

[LIZARDS & SNAKES]

{Squamata}

lizard

snake

rattlesnake

By the way, there was a menu option before so I thought it would be a global list we can access. At least I always hoped, because I have to handle a lot of Catalogs because of speed issues.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...