Daminion Server Editions

rene

Hey Murat,

since Daminion Server is running again, I recognized a few problems.

Why did you limit the Home Edition by cutting the “Version Control†and the “User Management�

It is pretty useful in the Home edition as well.

I e.g. run the Home network of my parents, but I will move back to China soon. Since my parents are not that good in IT and Computer techniques. If they e.g. change something or delete some files by mistake, I need to restore it, which would be so tremendously easy with “Version Control†and with “User rolesâ€. I simply could see who changed what. And they would only be Editors but no Administrators.

Can’t you simply allow these two features in Home Edition? I mean, the Homed Edition is limited to two concurrent connections, so why not allowing the Home Users to use these important features?

Thanks René!

In this case Home Server will compete with Team Server edition.

What if.... The home server allowed the full feature set but limited non-admin user sessions to say 30 minutes, with say a 15 minute reconnect delay. That would fit well with a family scenario where Dad sets up the library and the others just want to look at it, but would rule it out for team use.. The two session limit would also rule it out for most teams.

Steve.

What if.... The home server allowed the full feature set but limited non-admin user sessions to say 30 minutes, with say a 15 minute reconnect delay. That would fit well with a family scenario where Dad sets up the library and the others just want to look at it, but would rule it out for team use.. The two session limit would also rule it out for most teams.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't plan to enable user management for Home Server now.

As an option I could offer exchanging your Home Server license to Team Server in exchange to a video tutorial on YouTube that will reach 1k views. Or in exchange for a published Daminion Server Review on a web-site with good Alexa rank.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't plan to enable user management for Home Server now.

As an option I could offer exchanging your Home Server license to Team Server in exchange to a video tutorial on YouTube that will reach 1k views. Or in exchange for a published Daminion Server Review on a web-site with good Alexa rank.

Hey Murat, thanks for that suggestion. My Website’s Rank is pretty bad, so I’m overhauling it and I’m not a good writer as well. The switch would be for one year only, so I would need to downgrade afterwards again.

To be honest I was pretty amazed about Daminion Server in the recent weeks, although I experienced a lot of trouble. But since Daminion is still in Beta phase and I always install the newest beta version, in order to see what has changed, I’m not angry about the trouble, that’s why it is beta.

I will evaluate the license until it expires, and then I will see, If Daminion is still of use for me and acquire a new license or move to another Software, if there is one by then.

Let me explain, why I’m not that satisfied with Daminion right now.

1. Face Recognition, prior to be purchasing the license you promised me, that this will be implemented two releases later. Even though you said right away, you won’t include the engine but an import function from google picasa, I have been satisfied. Since the problems with Google Picasa changing something, and the import functionality is not working anymore, I thought maybe you could try to build a face recognition yourself. I mean I’m not a developer, but If I think about it, can’t you simply say, “just find pictures with faces†than it would be much easier for me to mark the faces. The engine could learn. If I mark faces, the engine could compare the faces and find analogies. You could even have the improvements each Server does anonymously been sent to you in order to improve the engine.

2. Upgrade of the People tag, to be able to mark faces on pictures. For me marking pictures with a lot of people from my family I never got to know, it would be great to combine their faces with names. Or maybe the “Modell Page†I mentioned some time ago. I could enter all the information who he/she is/was and include a picture, that would be an interim solution, because in the end it would be much better to just go over the picture with your mouse and see who is who.

3. “User Management†and “Version Controlâ€, I knew prior to purchasing the license, that it is not included. Since I’m a newbie to CMS I didn’t really knew, how important this features are. You are saying, that it would be equal to the team version, but the team version allows 3 or more concurrent connections, the home only up to 2, which is completely okay for me. The price difference between the two versions is pretty big. And you are selling the home license only to private persons not to companies.

4. iOS Version. An iOS version would be the cherry on the top. I mean esspecialy for me, just starting to tag every picture. sitting in front of my television with my iPad in my hands and tagging. The iPhone Version could simply act like a viewer.

5. Mac-Version, since my sister works with Mac-Computers, she could install the client, and when she is home and wants to see pictures she can simply login from her computer.

6. Media Streaming Client, I know some people are against this feature. I want to view the pictures on my television by streaming them from the server to the tv, like TVersity or twonky does it. Since I only store the raw files of my cameras I can’t stream them to the television, they can only view jpeg files. So I need to save every picture twice. Since Daminion is creating thumbnails to send them to the client computer, why shouldn’t Daminion sending them to the Television as well. This could be made as a plugin, I would even pay some bugs extra for that.

7. Batch Renaming of pictures, like Adobe Bridge. Continue counting, with different file types. And automaticly relinking these pictures than.

I do like the Support. Always working on solutions without much of waiting time.

Two suggestions for the forum:

1. Create a list of all the to-do points. You only write (#2635), but at what point are we? Can’t you post this list? We could take a peak in it and see the feature request of ours is already mentioned and we could simply vote for that as well. You could do that either in “Daminion†and “Daminion Server†or in “announcementsâ€.

2. Create a section for us to do general talking or a photography sharing section. That might generate traffic, and more people might like to try daminion after vising the forum. The posts there could be excluded from counting.

Overall you do a very good job with the Software and I’m very pleased about that. Keep on that work and try to include some of my ideas.

Thank you for reading this.

with kind regards

Rene!

Rene, I appreciate for the comprehensive feedback!

1. Face Recognition.

You need to downgrade to Picasa 3.8 to use this feature. We promised to add support for Picasa, 3.8 version actual at that moment, and we added this support. However in 3.9 version they changed face and people storage way.

Native Face detection might be appear in the future. I can't to say when, becuase we have other high-priority features in our feature list.

2. Upgrade of the People tag.

This can be one step toward to Face detection feature. But can be applied to any tags, but limited with People only. And it presents in our feature list.

3. Need to think about this feature. But just saying that a license is for individuals only might ne be enough level of protection.

4.5. iOS and Mac versions.

Dropbox addon that will be available soon allows you to see your medium res versions of your pictures in your iPAD or other tablets, But you will be limited with View only.

We don't plan to implement iOS and Mac version yet (at least in this year)

6. Media Streaming.

Don't plans for this now. However I undersdand that this feature can be helpful for home users. Will get back to this feature when core functionality will be implemented. BTW it could be added via REST API that we added to Daminion recently.

7. Batch Rename.

Will be added soon.

8. I add references to issues in our issue tracker to notify forum users when this feature will be implemented.

9. I can add a General Photography session. But will this session be useful and active? I don't know because there are a lot of forums with large communities for this purpose in the Web. Anyway I can added it as an experiment.

Hey Kalain,

meanwhile I found one version.

But I can't find any command in Daminion which would allow me to import the files from Picasa.

meanwhile I found one version.

But I can't find any command in Daminion which would allow me to import the files from Picasa.

It will be done automatically during image importing or by invoking "Item > Actions > Read Tag from File" command for already imported images.

Make sure that "Import Picasa Peoples" option in checked in the program "Preferences > Reading Metadata"

It will be done automatically during image importing or by invoking "Item > Actions > Read Tag from File" command for already imported images.

Make sure that "Import Picasa Peoples" option in checked in the program "Preferences > Reading Metadata"

going to try that. isn't it possible, that Daminion Server checks from time to time, like it is being done with "Auto Rescan"?

going to try that. isn't it possible, that Daminion Server checks from time to time, like it is being done with "Auto Rescan"?

Auto-Rescan doesn't helps here, cause during rescanning Daminion Server checks for new files, removed files and File Modification date of existing files, and miss the existing unchanged file.

However Picasa 3.8 writes all the information about people inside the ini files which Daminion doesn't care... So the only way that will works is "Item > Get Tags From File" that forced extracting metadata even for unchanged files.

The situation might be improved when we'll add support for reading people info from XMP metadata (didn't check yet whether the latest Picasa version can embed people info into the images). But this is not in the closest roadmap.