How to upgrade your PostgreSQL version

Murat

The instruction about migrating to a new PostgreSQL version was moved to the Knowledge Base.

New PostgreSQL version

Daminion now ships with the most recent PostgreSQL 9.2 version, which contains a number of improvements and security fixes. Daminion is no longer tied to any particular version of PostgreSQL. You can update it separately from Daminion. However, please note that PostgreSQL doesn’t update the existing database. Instead, it creates a new database and new program files.

Note also that Daminion will install PostgreSQL 9.2 only for fresh Daminion Server installations.

To migrate your database from PostgreSQL 9.0.X to a new PostgreSQL version you’ll need to:

• Install the latest Daminion Server version (816 build or higher)
  • Back up your existing Daminion Server catalog (Admin Panel > File > Backup Database).
  • Download and install the latest STABLE PostgreSQL version.
  • Open the Admin Panel and go to the "File > Settings > PostgreSQL" and change your PostgreSQL to a latest version:

2013-06-07_125215.gif

• You will be prompted to restart the Daminion Server. Press the "Ok" button.
  • Launch PGAdmin from the PosgtreSQL 9.2 folder, type in the 'postgres' password, locate and rename the NetCatalog database.
  • Go to the "File > Restore Database" menu of the Admin Panel, and specify your backup file(s).
  • Let us know in case of any problems with migrating to a new PostgreSQL version.
  • If all is Ok you can uninstall the previous PostgeSQL 9.0.X version. A location of the previous database file can be found in the Admin Panel > Dashboard.

Hello,

after working 2 days with the 9.2 PostgreSQL version and Daminion 817 I deinstalled the PostgreSQL 9.0 version and deleted the data folder from ProgramData\PostgreSQL - in 9.2 the data folder is here: c:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.2\data\

The result: no connection to the shared catalog is possible.

This is the event log:

Daminion_817_after_delete_PostgreSQL_9.0_lunch_shared_catalog.JPG

I've lost the user in the Daminion Administation Panel and can't create new user.

Daminion_817_after_delete_PostgreSQL_9.0_no_user.JPG

This is the event log:

Daminion_817_after_delete_PostgreSQL_9.0_event_log.JPG

Here the part of the client log:

2013-06-09 15:32:17,796 [1] ERROR ClientProxy [(null)] eventFaultedProxy

2013-06-09 15:32:17,811 [1] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Client.WCF.ClientCatalogServiceProxy [(null)] System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[system.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: An exception occurred. Please check the Event Log. (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:

System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: An exception occurred. Please check the Event Log.

bei PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Server.Postgres.PostgresMembershipProvider.GetUser(String username, Boolean userIsOnline) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ServerSideComponents\Service.Server.Postgres\PostgresMembershipProvider.cs:Zeile 1073.

bei System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser(String username, Boolean userIsOnline)

bei System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser(String username)

bei PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.CatalogService.Version() in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Server.WCF\IService.cs:Zeile 20.

bei SyncInvokeVersion(Object , Object[] , Object[] )

bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)

bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)

bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRunti...).

Additionally:

- If you call the Daminion Administration Panel -> menu -> File -> Preferences

even if you don't change anything you get the information that the "Settings was changed. Server must be restart"

Regards, Uwe

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

I'm running PostgreSQL x64-9.2 and have deleted v9.0. All seems to be working OK.

The only 'issue' occurred during my initial attempt to install v9.2. I got the an error message (see attachment). I turned off my Trend Micro and tried again and all went fine that time. I have no idea if Trend was actually an issue or if this was just a coincidence. But the second time v9.2 installed fine and the restoration of the backup went fine.

Mardon

post-1142-0-92452000-1372090085_thumb.jpg

The only 'issue' occurred during my initial attempt to install v9.2. I got the an error message (see attachment). I turned off my Trend Micro and tried again and all went fine that time. I have no idea if Trend was actually an issue or if this was just a coincidence. But the second time v9.2 installed fine and the restoration of the backup went fine.

We are trying to catch this issue and determine what's the problem that lead to this error message. Sometimes PostgreSQL 9.2 is willing to install after a second attempt (not matter whether an antivirus is active or not). Most probably that this is due to an access rights to the PostgreSQL folders (data or files).

If someone will see this message during PostgreSQL 9.2 installation please let me know.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

yesterday I made an update from postgreSQL 9.2 (installed automatically with Daminion Server) to 9.3.3.1

I followed the recommendation to update because of security issues (e.g. Secunia PSE) independent if this is relevant for Daminion.

I made it as describe above but got some problems which could be solved by interaction with Murat - thanks.

Here are activities and the currently known problems.

When I was restoring the Daminion catalog - an exception/crash happened: "invalid character". To continue we had to enter the names of the databases (Netcatalog and daminion) in postgreSQL using pgAdmin and to restore then the catalogs (right click on the database name).

Now I had 2 postgreSQL installations: 9.2 with port 5432 and 9.3.3.1 with port 5433.

Then I assigned the new 9.3 DB in the Admin Panel and uninstalled the old 9.2 postgreSQL installation.

Everything was ok now.

Today I wanted to update Daminion from build 974 to 975. But the 975 setup procedure didn't detect the existing postgreSQL 9.3 installation and wanted to install the postgreSQL 9.2 delivered by Daminion Server. I wasn't sure if I can continue without to overwrite the 9.3 installation files. I've contacted Murat.

I changed in the setup procedure the installation path, the data path and the port of the postgreSQL and continued.

The result: 2 postgreSQL installations: a 9.2 with port 5432 and a 9.3 with port 5433.

I selected the 9.3 in the Admin Panel and uninstalled the postgreSQL 9.2 which was just installed by the 975 build.

Now 975 is working with postgreSQL 9.3.3.1.

Thank you Murat. I guess the problems will be solved in a further build of Daminion.

Regards, Uwe