Export tags from the RAW to the developed Jpeg

phidias81

My Raw developer (Raw Therapee) is still not supporting xmp even if the compatibility is in the future features.

So basically when I develop Raw files that were previously keyworded in Daminion, I lose all of the keywords and tags in the jpeg. I'm trying to find a workaround to this.

I tried to create an xmp sidecar of the Raw and then to put it in a new folder with the jpeg (they still have the same name except the extension) and tried to import them in daminion, but the keywords are not imported. I tried to open the xmp file with a text editor and change in the last line "PEF" with "jpg" and repeat the process, but still not working.

Is there a way to do it or should I give up?

Hi phidias81,

is it possible to convert the RAW to DNG format, it doesn't need the sidecar xmp file, import the DNG into Daminion, make your adjustments and then to open the DNG in Raw Therapee?

Regards, Uwe

Yes that´s true but I'm afraid, as long as RT don´t have proper xmp support, there will be no easy way.

How about if you pre-render the jpegs with a different converter like the one which was supplied with your camera?

You could do that easily per batch and then you have all the jpegs with there related xmp files. Now you can overwrite this jpegs with the ones from RT without affecting the xmp´s. As long as you don´t change the names of the files, this could be work.

I tried to create an xmp sidecar of the Raw and then to put it in a new folder with the jpeg (they still have the same name except the extension) and tried to import them in daminion, but the keywords are not imported.

XMP sidecars supported for Camera RAW and Video formats only.

I tried to open the xmp file with a text editor and change in the last line "PEF" with "jpg" and repeat the process, but still not working.

Is there a way to do it or should I give up?

This option also doesn't help cause we don't use this property.

As an alternative way I can suggest you to use ExifTool to copy tags from XMP to JPEG in the batch process mode:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.XMP -r -ext JPG DIR

The above script will recursively rewrite all JPG images in DIR with information copied from the corresponding XMP in the same directories.

More info about ExifTool usage here and here.

BTW can RawTherapee update built-JPEG previews? If yes, then you can wait a bit when will add an option to export images including tags. Daminion will extract metadata from sidecar XMP files, use built-in JPEG previews for exporting, and assign tags to the exporting JPEG previews.

XMP sidecars supported for Camera RAW and Video formats only.

This option also doesn't help cause we don't use this property.

As an alternative way I can suggest you to use ExifTool to copy tags from XMP to JPEG in the batch process mode:

The above script will recursively rewrite all JPG images in DIR with information copied from the corresponding XMP in the same directories.

More info about ExifTool usage here and here.

BTW can RawTherapee update built-JPEG previews? If yes, then you can wait a bit when will add an option to export images including tags. Daminion will extract metadata from sidecar XMP files, use built-in JPEG previews for exporting, and assign tags to the exporting JPEG previews.

Thank you it worked from exiftool! ABout the built-in preview in RT I don't know, Ia asked the developers in the meanwhile.

Small guide if somebody else wants to use exiftool for the same reason as me:

- download a copy of exiftool and extract it somewhere, in example c:\program files\exiftool

- run prompt of MS dos (cmd)

- go to the folder where you put exiftool, in example: cd program files\exiftool

- run this command

where you have to change DIR with the path of the folder you want to batch process. If you don't have metadata in the XMP file, but in the raw file, then change .XMP with .DNG or .PEF or .Nef, etc.

In this folder (DIR) you need to have both the raw file with keywords and the developed jpeg with the same name.

It will create automatically also a backup copy of the original jpeg.

Done.