AVI Tagging, Advanced Search, and Place issues

pgrondin

Daminion Problems (v738):

Creation of tags for AVI files takes much too much time.

A directory with 49 files, total size 82.9 GB file sizes ranging from 150MB to 5.9GB took about 4 hours to create sidecar files and sync tags, with about 1 to two tags per file. With Autosync turned on, adding 1 tag to 5 files took about 3 minutes. At these speeds Daminion is useless for tagging video files.

Advanced search for tags in video (AVI+sidecar) files

I note that Uwe noted many of these problems in his post of 25 August 2012 . Any ETA on a fix?

“Does not contain†and “Does not match†only works for tags which only contain “no value†or a single value.

For example with a file tagged with two people, Ray and Sue:

People – Does not Contain – Sue

or

People – Does not Match – Sue

Returns the file with the two people, along with all of the files not tagged with “People – Sueâ€

“Does not Matchâ€, and “Does not Contain†do not appear to work with any tag that contains two values, for example, with a file tagged:

Keywords – Wildlife – Geese

A search for “Does not Contain†or “Does not Match†either “Wildlife†or “Geese†will return the file though it should not.

Advanced Search does not find “Parent†tags (though a Catalog Tags filter will find them).

With

Keywords – Wildlife – Flamingos, and

Keywords – Wildlife – Seals,

A search for:

Keywords - contains – Wildlife does not return any files unless “Wildlife†has been explicitly assigned as a tag to the files. The sidecar files contain the lines:

<dc:subject>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li>Wildlife|Flamingos</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag>

</dc:subject>

The search for the parent category should logically return all the files for Seals, Flamingos, Rabbits, etc.

Place Problems:

Attempting to add a “Location = Bronx Zoo†inside State = NY with a blank City field and assigning it to the selected file resulted in corruption of the Place tags for the file. The City is now listed as “%7jnbapuim4$lwk:d6ee934c-9908-4d10-b433-858a85f546f4†and there are two copies of “City†along with “New York†listed under Place = NY. It was possible to correct the error, however assigning a Location with a blank City Field should not IMHO create a problem in the first place. There are a lot of “Locations†that are not associated with “Cities†or where a “City†field would essentially be a dummy entry. (Sunset over seashore somewhere between Los Angeles, and San Francisco). Similarly, as a tourist in Rome, you might not know, or care, what “State†Rome is in.

Place Tags image:

post-212-0-84413100-1363091955_thumb.jpg

Some observations regarding updating on AVI files (v749)

Tag updates take forever.

XMP sidecar files have already been already created. I have been watching the Windows resource monitor. Daminion starts off with disk reads at about 65 MB/sec. Daminion appears to be reading the complete original AVI file when updating a tag.

If there are many (>10) tags to update, Daminion appears to lose focus and drops back to barely any CPU, or disk activity ( 1 KB / sec), even though there are still tags to Sync. Leaving Daminion to Sync tags for 6 hours failed to complete 24 updates due to this problem.

The focus can be brought back to Daminion by pausing the Sync, and restarting it. (Disk Reads go back up from 1 KB/sec to 50 MB/sec). Updates still take forever, but at least progress is being made.

Sure would be nice if this could be fixed. :-)

Creation of tags for AVI files takes much too much time.

A directory with 49 files, total size 82.9 GB file sizes ranging from 150MB to 5.9GB took about 4 hours to create sidecar files and sync tags, with about 1 to two tags per file. With Autosync turned on, adding 1 tag to 5 files took about 3 minutes. At these speeds Daminion is useless for tagging video files.

Could you please check the above performance issue with 752 build

I added 18 AVI files to Daminion (v752) ranging in size from about .3GB to 3.3 GB.

The total size of the files was 20.3 GB.

Adding one tag to all of the files took about 5 minutes.

After the first Sync completed, I added a second tag to all of the files. This also took about 5 minutes.

During the Sync of the second tag, I observed that Windows Resource monitor was reporting Daminion disk reads at 65 to 75 MB/Sec throughout the Sync process.

If I take the average read rate as 70 MB/Sec and apply that to the total file size of 20.3 GB the total time to completely read all of the files would be about 4.75 minutes. This indicates that Daminion is completely reading all of the files when it is Syncing tags to files even when the sidecar .XMP file already exists.

Edit/Preferences are set for:

Camera Raw - Write tags to sidecar XMP files

and

Add Video Format support is checked.

Just a quick check so far, but the slow updating problem seems (v756) to be fixed. However;

Yesterday (My time)I sent an E-mail to support with several XMP files, and a copy of the catalog attached. The problem, is that Daminion is replacing the previous XMP with the last changed tag type information. For example; if there were previous tags for Person, Place, and Creation Date, and a change is made to the Keywords, the new XMP file will contain only the Keyword tags. All of the other tags are gone from the XMP. This problem still exists with the 756 build.

Place Problems:

Attempting to add a “Location = Bronx Zoo” inside State = NY with a blank City field and assigning it to the selected file resulted in corruption of the Place tags for the file. The City is now listed as “%7jnbapuim4$lwk:d6ee934c-9908-4d10-b433-858a85f546f4” and there are two copies of “City” along with “New York” listed under Place = NY. It was possible to correct the error, however assigning a Location with a blank City Field should not IMHO create a problem in the first place. There are a lot of “Locations” that are not associated with “Cities” or where a “City” field would essentially be a dummy entry. (Sunset over seashore somewhere between Los Angeles, and San Francisco). Similarly, as a tourist in Rome, you might not know, or care, what “State” Rome is in.

I am unable to reproduce this issue. Can you please show me the exact steps to reproduce it?

Yesterday (My time)I sent an E-mail to support with several XMP files, and a copy of the catalog attached. The problem, is that Daminion is replacing the previous XMP with the last changed tag type information. For example; if there were previous tags for Person, Place, and Creation Date, and a change is made to the Keywords, the new XMP file will contain only the Keyword tags. All of the other tags are gone from the XMP. This problem still exists with the 756 build.

Fixed in 757 build.

After a quick check only, it appears that the 757 build has solved the XMP problems.

I am unable to reproduce this issue. Can you please show me the exact steps to reproduce it?

Regarding the problems with Place tags, I have not been able to reproduce the "Strange String" occurrence, however I can easily mess up the Catalog Tags panel's Place Tags. Refer to the attached screen shot. This resulted from a relatively undisciplined, random entry of partial place tags, ie: Location without City and then adding City using the Properties Panel. There were also a few cases where the initial location was wrong and was corrected either by entry of a new Place in the Catalog tags panel, or editing in the Properties panel.

I will create a new catalog, and document the steps taken to "Mess up" the Place tags display.

A part of the problem may be that I do not understand the "Correct" procedure for assigning place tags that will avoid this sort of mess. Is there a description of the intended way of entering and editing place tags?

post-212-0-19628400-1363974224_thumb.jpg

Here are two problems with the Place Tags:

Create a new catalog and import 1 file having no previous XMP.

Use the Properties panel to assign a Location = Zoo to the file; Save

Use the Catalog Tags Panel to created a location:

USA | NY | New York | Zoo

and assign this location to the file.

[EDIT] At this point Daminion always stops working; offering to send bug report. (Sent) Daminion can be restarted and the catalog reloaded. The crash is unrelated to the Place issue (Dead Locations) [EDIT]

The Catalog Tags panel now contains two “Zoo†locations:

Country | State | City | Zoo (Zero occurrences, but it does not get deleted)

and

USA | NY | New York | Zoo

Adding to the confusion are all of the “Place Holder†tags.

post-212-0-63882100-1363980050_thumb.jpg

Hi PG36,

the places tag has to be seen as an unit that consists of 4 levels (Country->State->City->Location).

At first you've created a places tag for the Location but without any information on higher levels of this tag. The result is: Country->State->City->Zoo. This is one tag "unit".

The other tag "unit" is USA->NY->New York->Zoo.

Now you have 2 "units" of the places tags. Maybe you take the first one to describe all items with "Zoo" but without to describe the City, State and Country of these Zoos. And the second is only for the Zoo in the City of New York, in the State NY and the Country USA.

Collapse the "placeholder" if you don't want to see them.

But they are useful as a headline of the tags below this "placeholder".

In this example (screenshot)

Daminion_757_places_tag_explanation.JPG

there are 3 items with a location tag "Manly" but 4 without an information in the location Level. The highest level of these 4 items is the City tag "Sydney". Now I can see that there are missing Location information and to decide if I want to add additional Location information.

Regards, Uwe

[EDIT] At this point Daminion always stops working; offering to send bug report. (Sent) Daminion can be restarted and the catalog reloaded. The crash is unrelated to the Place issue (Dead Locations) [EDIT]

I am unable to reproduce this issue with 757 build (followed your steps).

I'm not sure if this would have any impact, but I neglected to mention that:

I close all other catalogs before creating a new catalog.

I turn on Auto-Sync after importing the file.

It may be that the program only crashes if the "locations" assigned in the Properties Panel, and the Catalog Tags panel are different. IE:

Properties Panel | Location | zoo

Catalog Tags | USA | NY | New York | Zoo

If the Location is identical - No crash on four tests

If the Location is different - Crash on four tests (Upper vs Lower case may be enough)

Daminion usually has a delay of 10 to 20 seconds before crashing. I just did it several times again, though I had to try 5 or 6 times before it happened today. The Bug Report for the several of the occurrences today have been sent. I am also using the 757 build.

[Edit] A screen capture of one crash has been forwarded to support. [Edit]

Peter, thanks for the logs. However it this doesn't shed a light to the problem.

1. Could you please try to reproduce the issue with 761 build:

2. If this doesn't help please try to launch Daminion wtih -log_enable parameter and try reproduce the issue again.

We need the bug-report message and the log files.

3. BTW can you reproduce this issue with a local drive (not a removable one)

4. Does the problem is reproduced if you switch the Avast off?

5. If you give me a remote access to your computer by TeamViewer we can check the above steps by ourselves.

Peter, thanks for a lot of materials you provided us to locate this issue. It helps us a lot to get closer to resolving this problem. It was a tricky error that was hard to catch and we spent the hole day trying to do this. But we reproduced it on our computers at least. I'll send you a special build soon so we can make sure that problem was solved. Thank you!

Build 763 appears to be OK. Created three catalogs, imported files etc. Tried to duplicate previous crashes. None so far.

Going back to the first post:

AVI Tag updates are now fast - Well Done!

Place Tags are working well. - Well Done!

Murat, what is the status of the advanced search function in Daminion Stand-alone?

Murat, what is the status of the advanced search function in Daminion Stand-alone?

I forgot what was the problem with the advanced search function. I guess it this issue is described and existed in our feature list, but I forgot the details... Please remember it.

Murat;

I was referring to the existing Advanced Search function in Daminion Stand-alone. There are some portions of it that do not work correctly. A quote from the first post in this thread.

Advanced search for tags in video (AVI+sidecar) files

I note that Uwe noted many of these problems in his post of 25 August 2012 . Any ETA on a fix?

“Does not contain†and “Does not match†only works for tags which only contain “no value†or a single value.

For example with a file tagged with two people, Ray and Sue:

People – Does not Contain – Sue

or

People – Does not Match – Sue

Returns the file with the two people, along with all of the files not tagged with “People – Sueâ€

“Does not Matchâ€, and “Does not Contain†do not appear to work with any tag that contains two values, for example, with a file tagged:

Keywords – Wildlife – Geese

A search for “Does not Contain†or “Does not Match†either “Wildlife†or “Geese†will return the file though it should not.

Advanced Search does not find “Parent†tags (though a Catalog Tags filter will find them).

With

Keywords – Wildlife – Flamingos, and

Keywords – Wildlife – Seals,

A search for:

Keywords - contains – Wildlife does not return any files unless “Wildlife†has been explicitly assigned as a tag to the files. The sidecar files contain the lines:

<dc:subject>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li>Wildlife|Flamingos</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag>

</dc:subject>

The search for the parent category should logically return all the files for Seals, Flamingos, Rabbits, etc.