Image Rotation Problem

Mardon

Hello,

I have the same problem and made some additional tests:

This (step 1 to 4) is independent from the mediaformat (except CR2, this has been described by JustPhotos.ca):

1. right click on thumbnail -> Action -> Rotation 90CW

2. the thumbail rotates but not the preview

3. select another item and go back to the first one

4. now the preview is rotated 90CW and it works for all items of the same mediaformat until you change the mediaformat

It seems to be a problem to refresh the preview window the first time this mediaformat is selected and an item rotated.

The Open with: works different depending on the mediaformat:

BMP, GIF, PNG item:

5: Open with: Photoshop: not rotated

DNG, JPG, PSD, TIF item:

5. Open with: Photoshop: rotated

other formats: It should not to be possible to use the rotate function for other than photo formats. I made a test with XLS format: the thumbnail didn't rotate but the preview.

Even if I can rotate the thumbnail it doesn't make sense e.g. for PDF or INDD items because I won't expect to get a "adjusted" layout of these documents when I open them with Acrobat or Indesign.

Regards, Uwe

Hello,

I have the same problem and made some additional tests:

This (step 1 to 5) is independent from the mediaformat (except CR2, this has been described by JustPhotos.ca):

1. right click on thumbnail -> Action -> Rotation 90CW

2. the thumbail rotates but not the preview

3. select another item and go back to the first one

4. now the preview is rotated 90CW and it works for all items of the same mediaformat until you change the mediaformat

Hi Uwe. I tried your steps 1 through 4 on a DNG file and it behaved just as you described. I tried it with CR2 files but things behaved too erratically to report here or to draw any definite conclusions. AlI can say for certain about the CR2 files is that there is some problem with the rotation and viewing of CR2 images and thumbnails, including the preview window behaviour. To be clear, there is a problem with the preview, rotation and viewing of all file types. It's just that for me, CR2 files behave worse than most other file types in this regard.

The problem that was described by Uwe is different than the CR2 rotation issues mentioned by Mardon. Hope to fix both issues soon.

DNG, JPG, PSD, and TIFF items are opened correctly by Photoshop because Daminion updates EXIF:Orientation tag.

BMP format doesn't support EXIF metadata.

XMP:EXIF Orientation in GIF and PNG formats are ignored by Photoshop.

Mardon: as a temporary solution you can close the Preview Panel that seems to be a reason for the problem with inability to rotate thumbnails.

Thank you! I did not know that closing the preview window would allow the thumbnails to rotate properly. That's a useful work-around.

:i-m_so_happy:

Mardon, could you please let me know what Metadata writing settings had you choose in the Daminion Server Admin Panel > Edit > Preferences? A screenshot will be enough.

Screen shot attached. I didn't realize I had the settings like this. I would like to write the data to the raw file, not a sidecar. Is it OK to change my settings now?

post-1142-0-37439400-1361448949_thumb.jpg

I guess the best way to manage RAW files is by converting them from a vendor specific format to the Adobe DNG format that allows updating XMP safely and fast. And it allows to avoid using XMP sidecar files.

BTW the "DNG Converter" option will be added to the "File Import" window soon.