Pricing structure and license?

franky68

Since Daminion envolves more and more and almost starts be be usuable I start to suggest it to people that are looking for a DAM.

Now you can imagion that one of their first question is: "How much is it" which at the current point I can only answer that its free while its in beta. Which of course is not really helpfull for them.

Can you give any informations already how much Daminion (standalone and server) will be once its released as stable?

Also will it be licensed per household, user or computer? This means are we allowed to run it on our desktop and laptop with once license?

Kind regards

Frank

Good question(s)! And to be honest we receive many questions about the price.

We plan to release 4 Daminion versions. The approximate pricing is below:

• Daminion Free ($0)
  • Daminion Pro (~$149-199)
  • Daminion Home Server (~$199-299) (for home/uncommercial usage with some limitations)
  • Daminion Server Pro (~$249-299 per connection)

I gave you the approx. pricing so the final cost of the released products might be slightly differ.

I don't like greedy peoples so we'll provide the active forum users with free licenses ;)

Daminion (both standalone and server versions) licenses are per user.

You may use Daminion Pro Standalone license on a single PC. But you can install it on a second PC (laptop or home computer) provided that you are the sole user of both PCs and you don't allow to use the product by more than one individual.

Yes, I can imagion youre getting quite a few mails about the price ;) In particular for hobbyist users thats the key feature after all...

The pricing sounds reasonable to me - thats about what you pay for a decent DAM (a few are WAY more, a couple a bit less). Tho frankly I was hoping Daminion would be priced along with PicaJet. I am a hopeless optimist after all. And yes, I know Daminion has more features ;)

I don't like greedy peoples so we'll provide the active forum users with free licenses ;)

Neither do I - but even software developers have to eat something every now and then ;)

Anyway, that sounds like I should post in the forum every now and then...

I suppose the free version will not be able to connect against an existing homeserver (PostgreSQL) database?

This would be neat for the wife who doesn'nt need real DAM abilities but only review images every now and then and maybe mark the ones she wants to be printed out.

To connect to a shared Daminion Server catalog you can use any of the Daminion Standalone versions: Free or Pro.

The only difference is: free version will has some limitations while working with the local catalogs. For shared catalogs both versions will work without any restrictions.

Access to the Daminion Server version is limited by user licenses. So if Daminion Home Server will be shipped with 3 user licenses, you can use Daminion Free versions to connect to a shared catalog.

But to works without limitations with local catalogs it's necessary to obtain the Daminion Pro license.

Ok, I am not quite sure if I really understand this...

The plan to use the free version for my wife (or whomevers significant others as this probably is a pretty common settings for hobbyist photographers) was to get along with just once license. If I purchase a second licence so she can connect she can also use the Pro version.

I am probably not the only one with this setup:

I store my images on a dedicated drive on my desktop. This desktop is used for most work.

However I also want to be able to use the images from my laptop. So I mapped drive to a networkdrive "P:" on both computers. The desktop and laptop of course are owned by me and no one else but me has access to them. So a single user licence would be fine.

It would be great if I could launch Daminion on the laptop eventhough I forgot to close it on the desktop and both computers access the database at the same time. But its not absolutely necessary.

Now I want my wife/fiance or whomever who has her/his own computer to be able find images using my tags, collections or whatever. She should be able to view them and maybe put them in the traywindow so I can later see which ones she picked/liked most/wants to be printed out. She does need no functionality beside selecting, viewing and marking.

So from what I understood she can of course use the free version. But if I use the Server version I would need a second license anyway and with the standalone version (database on network drive) one licence is enough!?

Is this correct? And if so: are the limitations (user) with the server version...

1. because of the number of connections to the database are tied to the number of licenses

1a. so i could not connect from the desktop and laptop at the same time either

1b. would it be ok (legal) for her to connect with the free version when I disconnect so there is only one connection at a time

2. because of the number of users (roles) that can be configured in the database is tied to the number of licenses

2a. in this case would it be ok if she connected (using the free version) with my user

3. because of the license generally only allows one person per licence. In this case I wonder why it would be ok with the standalone if its ok at all. And if not whats the purpose of the free version in combination with a pro version.

Also I suppose the only real difference between standalone and server will be the kind of database (SQLite vs. PostgreSQL) and user-rights or are there significant other differences?

Hmm.... reading this over it sounds harsh. Its not meant to - I am just really confused now :unsure:

Kind regards

Frank

If a user is going to use Daminion for home(private/non-commercial) usage he can obtains Daminion Home Server. This version will ships with 3 licenses. Each license allows to create one user. So with Home Server you can create 3 users.

In your case you can install Daminion Free Standalone versions on your desktop PC and on your laptop. It will works without limitations with the shared catalog (except Daminion Pro Server specific limitations, like user roles).

Daminion Free version will works fine with local catalogs also, but with some limitation.

Also I suppose the only real difference between standalone and server will be the kind of database (SQLite vs. PostgreSQL) and user-rights or are there significant other differences?

Limitations/Problems of the Daminion Standalone version on the network environment:

1. You need to close/open catalog by Standalone version to see changes made by other users
  2. There is no guarantee that the catalog will crashes due to the simultaneous attempts to write the data by multiple users
  3. Standalone version performs file input/output operations like (generating images previews, writing/reading metadata) on the client side. So it required a lot of bandwidth for affordable performance with network files. In case of a Server the media files and Media Processor locates on the same computer and provides the better performance
  4. You can't track who and when made what changes
  5. User rights to restrict content access

[...] Daminion Home Server. This version will ships with 3 licenses.

Ok, you didnt mention this previously but this clarifies. So a "Home Server" would be sufficient for me and my wife anyway and also give me the option to restrict her rights to what I want her to do.

This of course would be great!

Limitations/Problems of the Daminion Standalone version on the network environment:

Yepp, thats basicly what I expected. Anyway it seems that for users that use networking the home-server version would be best in any case - as long as they dont bother with installation of PostgreSQL and having another service running.

Now I am only curious about the limitations of Home-Server vs. Pro-Server. But for those I guess I better wait until youre halfway finished with the beta ;)

Thanks for clarification

Frank

What limitations/differences are planned between Daminion Free & Daminion Pro?

We have not completely decided what limitations will have Daminion Free version versus Pro version. Because the Pro version functionality is implemented partially.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Murat.

Is it correctly understood, that in my home environment, where my wife and I are two "equal" users (both taking, uploading and tagging/using photos), we should expect to buy a "Home Server", install this on a small server machine (Ideally a low-power mini-pc like a Fit-PC2 or EEE if we can afford it), and then use a "Free" client each to access all our pictures?

Will the clients be able to "mirror" some of the pictures locally for improved speed while editing or off-line viewing when off-site?

Regarding pricing, I would add (for me personally) that a price tag of around 200$ for a "family solution" (me and my wife) would be acceptable, 300$ starts to hurt but I would probably "bite the bullet" if the product actually does what it promises, but going towards 400$ (whether it is 400$ for a server or 400$ for a combination of server and "necessary clients") would probably be rather prohibitive - partly because I would also have to invest in dedicated hardware (and windows licens) to run the server, and a virtual-machine solution on my mac for one of the clients. :-(

Regards Jan

Hello Jan,

from how I understood Murat the "Home Server" comes with three licenses so a single purchase should be sufficient for you and your wife (and maybe one kid).

If this is correct the question is the feature difference between "Home Server" and "Home Server Pro" but that certainly cant be decided before the actual release or at least release candidate.

Also the licence for the "Home Server Pro" seems to be *per connection* - which would mean that you theoretical could install as many clients as you like without purchasing licenses but could only connect to the server with one computer at a time - which in most home scenarios would be sufficient.

Disclaimer: This reflects only my understanding of Murats posts above. But I am sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it correctly understood, that in my home environment, where my wife and I are two "equal" users (both taking, uploading and tagging/using photos), we should expect to buy a "Home Server", install this on a small server machine (Ideally a low-power mini-pc like a Fit-PC2 or EEE if we can afford it), and then use a "Free" client each to access all our pictures?

Yes. We decided to stay with 3 users scheme for Home Server. And each user will have the full access to the shared catalog.

But we also consider do not use "Users" and instead distinguish the Home and Pro versions by functionality (for example: User Roles, Multiple Picture Comments, etc..)

Will the clients be able to "mirror" some of the pictures locally for improved speed while editing or off-line viewing when off-site?

Yes. Daminion will cache the image and traffic data to increase the performance.

Regarding pricing, I would add (for me personally) that a price tag of around 200$ for a "family solution" (me and my wife) would be acceptable, 300$ starts to hurt but I would probably "bite the bullet" if the product actually does what it promises, but going towards 400$ (whether it is 400$ for a server or 400$ for a combination of server and "necessary clients") would probably be rather prohibitive - partly because I would also have to invest in dedicated hardware (and windows licens) to run the server, and a virtual-machine solution on my mac for one of the clients. :-(

I appreciate for your suggestion about the pricing. We'll stay between $200 and $300 for Home Server that assumes usage of the product at home (non-commercially).

from how I understood Murat the "Home Server" comes with three licenses so a single purchase should be sufficient for you and your wife (and maybe one kid).

If this is correct the question is the feature difference between "Home Server" and "Home Server Pro" but that certainly cant be decided before the actual release or at least release candidate.

Also the licence for the "Home Server Pro" seems to be *per connection* - which would mean that you theoretical could install as many clients as you like without purchasing licenses but could only connect to the server with one computer at a time - which in most home scenarios would be sufficient.

Disclaimer: This reflects only my understanding of Murats posts above. But I am sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

We consider (I mentioned it above in my reply to Jan) two approaches to distinguish Home Server and Pro Server:

- 3 users with full rights to access to a shared catalog

- No users. Home version will not have an ability to restrict access to content by user roles, it can be user for non-commercial usage only by home users, user comments, one catalog per server...

As always any suggestions are welcome ;)

• 1 year later...

I have been looking at pricing and considering purchasing home server. you mention it comes with three licenses however when I look at the purchasing options it defaults to two copies, however I can change this to one. Therefore if I purchase a single copy of home server from you how many computers / licenses is this for?

Hi Murat,

In deciding the limits for the home licence, please consider a scenario which exists at my place and I suspect for others. That is the desire to protect the assets from accidental tampering from kids etc. it would be good to have at least a very basic user distinction so that family members can be granted read-only access.

Regards,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Daminion envolves more and more and almost starts be be usuable I start to suggest it to people that are looking for a DAM.

Yep, I wait also few more releases before to promote and speak around me about Daminion. :clapping:

Let's say first week of September, after summer holidays when you need to sort your summer holidays pictures.

• 1 month later...

i am a little confused about the differences between the Home Server and Pro Server. If I buy 1 license for the Home server, what functionalities are missing compared to 1 licence of the Pro server? I know the Home server don't have any user control but then again, the Pro server is only one connection. Are there other limitations functionally?

Home Server purchasing defaults to quantity of 2. Is that 2 licenses on only 2 computers? Can I install on multiple computers and then have only 2 connections at a time by whatever user login?

Home Server purchasing defaults to quantity of 2. Is that 2 licenses on only 2 computers? Can I install on multiple computers and then have only 2 connections at a time by whatever user login?

Hello BeVegan, The Home Server gives you 1 license but 2 concurrent connections. That means. You will enter your licence code in the Server Administration Panel in order to activate Home Version. After that you cann install the free version (Client Version) on as many Computers as you want within your network. You are allowed to connect with 2 Computers at one time.

Thanks Rene

What functionalities are missing in the home server compared to the pro server? Am I able to have multiple catalogs on the home server? If I got the home server which has 2 connections, and if I ever wanted to go to 3 connections, would I need to upgrade to the enterprise edition by buying the full $999 for 3 connections?

Thanks