Feature request

Uwe

Hello,

I would like to have a Tag assignment that depends on the media type. E.g., there are many items assigned to Tag "Focal Length" with the attribute "unassigned". When you analyse these items you find PDF, MP3 etc. They will never have a Focal Length. Or the Tag "Artist", It doesn't make sense for TIF, JPG etc. but they are counted.

One can use the "Advanced Filter" to select items with the combination "MP3" AND "Artist = unassigned" or "DNG" AND "Focal Length = unassigned" etc. but to have a better usability I would like to prefer the media type sensitive counter.

What's yout opinion?

Regards, Uwe

I'm trying audio files now, and it's confusing, yeah. At the Artists there is 62000 unassigned item, but those are all images.

But I think I'll use WinAmp for audio files now. It has limitations (like, in example, we can't add more genres to a file) but it can organize better the audio files with that auto filtering by albums, genres, etc.. And of course it can play them. In Daminion I have to open the files in an external tool anyway, it's ugly, we need a built-in player.

I think we need custom solutions for view images and other media types in Daminion's thumbnail view area.

Hello,

an internal player would be good but it is less priority for me. I also use Winamp, VLC etc. and I like them.

The problem is: how many application features do we want to have in a DAM system? Yes there is a preview for photos, but for the other formats (PDF, audio, video...) Daminion calls the external application assigned to the file typ. Where is the limit to have an internal and external support?

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

it's a good question, yeah. I think that there is no limit, in time it has to support the playing of the songs or reading of the pdf files, too. I don't say that it has to support them now, but later, in higher versions. I think that playing an audio file is like viewing an image in full screen, and Daminion is supporting that, too.

Why would I use Daminion for organizing my audio files if WinAmp does a better job at that area?

WinAmp is specialized to audio files so it's good in it, and it sucks with video files. And if I want to organize and listen to audio files, it's way faster to work in that program than open as an external tool from Daminion all the time.

The rating is not in sync in the two programs. And WinAmp is just one program, there could be other problems with other tools.

In Daminion I can't filter for Albums, it's just a lot of files there in the thumbnail view. With images it's good, but with other types... well, it's not the best. Okay, there is time when I filter for genres or other tags, and I need just the files, but I often need an "album view", too.

I think the latter two need a solution.

But if Daminion's devteam will work on the audio part of the program in the future, it can be better than WinAmp easily, because Daminion has more possibility for organizing the files. (There is a lot of limitation with id3, like Albums, I can't assign 1 file to more albums, at least there is no tool which really supports it, so I have a lot of duplicates, if I need the Greatest Hits and other albums, too.)

Regards,

mammut

Hello,

I agree. You can't filter by Album when you use the Catalog Tags but in the Advanced Search you can do it.

From my point of view Daminion should support in the Catalog Tags Window all tags that are existing and can already be used in other Windows like Album in the Thumbnail Window (List View).

Regards, Uwe