8.4-3237 - 3296 Desktop client: Read tags from file, large TIF and thumbnails, GPS-Altitude. Tag Access restriction

Uwe

Hello,
I had the pleasure of testing version 8.4 in advance. Many thanks to the Daminion team. Here is some information that I think are still bugs, works as designed, missing functionality, problem possibly only in my catalogue, etc. in the official 3200 build. This information is already known to Daminion and should therefore only serve as information for other users.
1. with formats which are not natively supported (tested with HEIV, webp, AfPhoto) the action "Read tags from file" leads to the deletion of all metadata which you had entered before and which were only available in the catalogue and not in the file. So be careful if you don't want to lose your metadata.
2. no thumbnails are created for very large TIF files (larger than about 11000x11000 pixels) with a transparent background. This leads to the media engine constantly trying to generate the thumbnail without success. For each media engine a CPU load of 8 - 10% is generated. In my case, four such TIF files, i.e. more than 40% permanent CPU load. If the same TIF files do not have a transparent background, this problem does not exist. I use Affinity Photo, where the transparent background is standard in the export function.
3. With CR2 photos, in which GPS data was previously written via GeoSetter, the altitude information is read out incorrectly. The decimal place is not correct. So instead of GPSAltitude=436,9m 4369m is displayed in the properties.
4. menu->catalogue->advanced settings->tag access restriction existing roles are not shown in the window to make assignments.
Many greetings, Uwe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Uwe changed the title to 8.4-3237 - 3296 Desktop client: Read tags from file, large TIF and thumbnails, GPS-Altitude. Tag Access restriction

3. With CR2 photos, in which GPS data was previously written via GeoSetter, the altitude information is read out incorrectly. The decimal place is not correct. So instead of GPSAltitude=436,9m 4369m is displayed in the properties.

not yet fixed in 3296

There are various tags that save the GPS metadata for RAW files. In the RAW file, Altitude for example, these can be: XMP-exif:GPSAltitude and GPS:GPSAltitude.
In the sidecar XMP file it is: XMP-exif:GPSAltitude. I used a small Python programm to determine all deviations between the three tags and adjusted all tags using ExifTool.
However, with the RAW files and the corresponding setting in Daminion there should actually be no GPS metadata, as everything should be saved in the XMP sidecar. However, this could possibly be due to the fact that I have to use other programs, e.g. GeoSetter, DigiKam, DxOPhotolab, XnViewMP, when we are travelling, as there is no longer any current standalone support for Daminion. I will try to determine the cause of the deviations etc. in the course of time.

Hello,

two photos taken at the same time with the Sony DSC RX100VII camera. One saved as an ARW RAW photo and parallel in JPG format. Added the GPS metadata with GeoSetter. The XMP sidecar file is created by GeoSetter. Imported into the upload folder using AutoImport in Daminion. For the ARW RAW photo, the altitude is correctly displayed as 111.37m, while the altitude for the JPG photo is 1113m.

Regards, Uwe

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:19 PM, Uwe said:

1. with formats which are not natively supported (tested with HEIV, webp, AfPhoto) the action "Read tags from file" leads to the deletion of all metadata which you had entered before and which were only available in the catalogue and not in the file. So be careful if you don't want to lose your metadata.

good news - fixed in build 3406