Adding metadat to FITS files

Volker

Hello,

I have imported FITS files into Daminion. As Daminion can not read the FITS header I want to add some metadata manually. How can I add metadata such as exposure time, camera model, focal length and so on? There seems to be no obvious way in Daminion to achieve this.

Best regards,
Volker

Hello,

the only chance I see: take the ExifTool if you want to write metadata to the file - not sure if the ExifToll supports the FITS format.
But where do you want to write the information? To the file or to the database?
Another way is to create a "JPG-sidecar" file based on the FITS file (XnView can export FITS to JPG). This small JPG should have the same name as the FITS file and can be linked to the FITS file. This JPG file can be your "storage" of the metadata you want to use.  

regards, Uwe

20201202_002325.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Hello Uwe,

it would be sufficient to store the data in the database or in a sidecar xmp file. Creating a sidecar jpf file and fill it (more or less) manually is not a very convenient way.
I can already store some metadata in the database (keywords, location, and so on), but not camera and exposure, because Daminion offers no way to assign these values.

Best regards,
Volker

Hi Volker,

As far as I understand the ExifTool it can read FITS metadata but not write. The sidecar JPG file can be filled automatically by ExifToll commands.
Other proposal without a sidecar file: independent on the already existing "technical metadata" used by the other media formats you can define your own "technical" custom tags for the tags you can't assign in Daminion.

Regards, Uwe