properly backing up the Files of Daminion Server

rene

Dear Community,

I was just thinking About, how to you make a backup of your Daminion Server?

I have two identical Windows 10 Machines that i use as Servers.

1. SERVER 

runs Daminion Server and Nothing else

2. BACKUP-SERVER

here i experiement with several different syncronizations Software.

1. Allway Sync (stops working easely due to the hgight amount of files)

2. Snyc Toy (stops working easely due to the hgight amount of files)

Which solution would you recomment?

Both Servers are in the same Network, so they are connected via a shared drive

thank you!

On 6/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, fhahn said:

I typically use FreeFileSync. It can be found here:

https://freefilesync.org/

It can be setup to run several different ways. I typically setup a Task Schedule to run and copy my files to a couple of different computers for backups.

Frank

Hello Frank,

could you give me a hint on how to set this up?

e.g. everytime the backup Server starts, it shall check for file changes and delete files from the backup drive if they are missing on the Server drive, etc.

thank you!

On 6/9/2019 at 5:33 AM, rene said:

Hello Frank,

could you give me a hint on how to set this up?

e.g. everytime the backup Server starts, it shall check for file changes and delete files from the backup drive if they are missing on the Server drive, etc.

thank you!

I just reread your question and I think there are two questions here.

1. How to backup just the server running the Daminion server software?

2. How to backup the photo repository?

My system at home is as follows:

Drive C:\ has the Windows operating system and the Daminion Home server software installed. On Drive D:\, I have my main photo repository. All of my photos get copied here. This is where I add GPS data and other metadata, etc.

To backup my C:\ drive, I use a program called Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE. It can be found here:

https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

You may have to register to download the program, I don't remember. I set it up to maintain 10 daily backups. It backs up the entire C:\ drive, operating system and everything. As part of the install, it creates a bootable ISO drive that can be used to boot the machine from to recover with in case something happens to your disk. It can also be used to backup the other disks in the machine. I just backup my boot drive.

To backup my photos, I use a program called FreeFileSync. See link above. I maintain three backups of my photos just to make sure that I can recover them if something catastrophic happens. Two copies go to a Synology NAS and one copy goes to another server running UnRaid.

Here is the main FreeFileSync windows. In the middle pain, you can see I have a path D:\backups\photos\. Below this, I have sorted my photos by year, camera model, etc.

In the far right pane, I have \\barney\photos\. This is the destination to where my photos are being backed up. Above this, you can see Synchronize and an arrow pointing to the right-side. This means everything under D:\backups\photos is being mirrored on \\barney\photos. This can be changed if desired.

If I want to run a backup manually, I just push the Compare button in the middle. Give it a few minutes and the software determines what files have been changed since the last backup. There will be a window that pops up that allows you to either continue with the backup or to cancel it.

When testing my backups, this is what I do.

1367343875_2019-06-1107_00_28-C__Users_dfh_SyncSettings_DriveD_Photos_to_Barney_Photos.ffs_gui.thumb.jpg.ba4d153eb49640de0d35733998a463f3.jpg

If I want to automate the backup, you can save it as a batch job. Click on File | Save as batch job and give it a name.

1630177527_2019-06-1107_01_02-C__Users_dfh_SyncSettings_DriveD_Photos_to_Barney_Photos.ffs_gui.jpg.b535c14179b40f3a50d52ba677c0e4aa.jpg

Here are some additional settings that you can set within the batch job.

711329132_2019-06-1107_01_39-SaveasaBatchJob.jpg.e1be050c2e940d42ddc020c7b1ea7fc5.jpg

I use the Windows Task Scheduler to run this batch job a couple of times a day just to make sure my files are getting backed up. I have setup jobs to make backups to the Synology NAS also.

Hope this all makes sense.

Frank Hahn