Clinet customizations vanish after upgrade from 4.x to 6.x

bmenk

When I point an existing 4.x client at the new Netcatalog at a 6.x server, it forces a client upgrade as expected. However once the client is upgraded all of the customizations that were in the 4.x client are gone.

I don't see anything in the old 4.x server backups that allows for backing up client customizations - perhaps that was not available back in 4.x? Would those have been stored someplace like c:\user\myname\daminion on the individual user's machines? If so could they be backed up from that location and restored once the new client is in place?

Thanks

Bobb Menk

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Library

I can see the settings.xml file at that location. I tried copying it from an install using the 4.x client into one using the 6.x client to see if that would bring them across, but it doesn't appear to have done so.  Any other ideas on this? Perhaps I need to transfer other files in addition to the settings.xml file?

Thanks

Bobb

If I had to make a new setup I copied the content of the Tag  <PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.EditWithSettings> .... </PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.EditWithSettings> from the old settings.xml to the new one and not the "old" settings.xml file to the new installation.

These are the "open with..." settings.

Regards, Uwe

Thanks for the response Uwe. Sadly, There is no EditWithSettings section in the old settings.xml file. You can see the sections available in the screen snap below. Certainly SearchPatternLogSettings and LayoutSettings have quite a bit of data in them that look like they hold quite a few customizations. The ActionSetSettings has a lot of data in it as well in the nested SerializedActionSets section.  Those seem to be the sections with the most data. Any advice on which of these contain the most important kinds of settings?

Thanks.

Bobb Menk

image.png.94a48bbef80426b7f98c10b516c604f8.png

Hi Bobb,

I didn't take care of other settings except the ClientCommon.EditWithSettings . If you don't have this section means, that there was no customizing for the "Open with..." action to manage items/files with external applications.

Regarding the the other sections I'm not sure if you can copy them 1:1 because there are some "Guid, UniqueID etc" and I don't know if they are valid for any Daminion version or if a new installation creates new identifier. There are Daminion internal client settings and user specific in the settings.xml

I guess you want to have a global client settings.xml file to rollout this file to each client?

Regards, Uwe