GPS info

kingsfan

We have not decided yet what is the best way to represent the GPS info:

- Just show GPS info in Properties pane as text fields (not informative)

- Embed Google Maps and display markers on the map...

- Embed Bing...

The first way could be implemented easily but I guess it's not the best way to see the GPS info.

My suggestion would be to start by exposing the GPS data as EXIF property Text Fields in the initial release. Later you can incorprate the mapping functionality.That is, do the easy stuff first :-). The field can be read-only as well for now.

I use Expression Media 2 today and it incorporates into Bing; however I hardly use that functionality. What I like to see however is the the GPS data I have added to my photos by syncing with GPX track logs (currently using Geosetter) actually shows up as an EXIF tag. Think of the functionality as a tool to confirm that all EXIF properties (or at least the ones I have manually embedded) are viewable via a Cataloging software.

Without a way to view this property as I can in Expression Media 2 today, Daminion will have a gap that could easily have been filled, so I really hope you add at least the Text Fields for now. Thanks for your consideration .

There are programs like IDImager which (as far as I can tell) ignore EXIF GPS data and look for GPS data in XMP only by default. I hope you will be displaying GPS data available as EXIF tags and not always look for GPS data in XMP-EXIF tags. Thanks in advanced if you are planning on respecting and displaying the EXIF GPS tags as embedded in RAW and JPG files.

We follow MWG specification here. And you are right:

MWG Specification

4.2.3.1 Handling Exif and XMP

If a file has Exif and XMP blocks the application shoul read both XMP and Exif but prefer Exif.

Just in case if you need to copy all of your GPS info from XMP to EXIF you can use ExifTool by Phil Harvey (you can locate in on the Daminion folder also)

Example of the usage:

exiftool "-gps:all

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for adding GPS information to the Properties in the latest (337) build. Much appreciated.

Please take a look at the formating though. The Lat and Long reference is not correct. For example a West designation is being shown as a South designation. It will also be nice to see the option for altitude to be shown in "feet" instead of "meters".

Fixed. Thanks for the note!

I hope we'll release a minor Daminion 0.8.3 update today.

The altitude will be shown as: 111 m (364.17 ft)post-25-0-91751100-1309237714_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-28956500-1309237733_thumb.jpg

I do not believe this to be fixed in Build 340. See the attached screen caps. Capture.JPG is the GPS reported by EXIFTOOLGUI, and Capture1.JPG is the GPS reported by Daminion. The coordinates and compass direction (N,E,W,S) are still wrong.

• 1 year later...

My suggestion would be to start by exposing the GPS data as EXIF property Text Fields in the initial release. Later you can incorprate the mapping functionality.That is, do the easy stuff first :-). The field can be read-only as well for now.

Following this old discussion, now you can see and display Lat/Long but how can I use Daminion to map selected pictures ?

I expected to :

- search and find some pictures with Daminion,

- put selection in Tray,

- select all images in Tray and make a geo setting file like a kmz file in order to display them with Google Earth.

I didn't find a way to export a geo tag file in order to display my image Daminion selection in a map.

Any advice (even without Daminion) ?

Thanks.

GeoSetter has an option to export images to Google Earth - in case that helps. You can also use ExifTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/geotag.html#Reverse)

Thanks for your answer.

GeoSetter is exactly what I was looking for. (create a kmz file from image selection)

It would be nice if under Daminion you could create a kmz file from selected images or from Tray images.

Yes, this would be very cool to do this from your favorite DAM software.

Regards

Thanks for the suggestions! Displaying selected images in a map is existed in our feature list.

mmmh, I think there is two targets here.

1/ Displaying selected images in a map is one thing.

2/ Create a kmz file from selected images is another thing.

because with this kmz file you will be able to display it with google earth or any other map software which accept kmz file and use it's tools like distance measurements and so on. (which I guess will not be available under Daminion.)

So, please do not forget "create kmz file" function from selected images which I think will require less work than to display images in internal Daminion maps.

Regards

• 3 months later...

Just in case if you need to copy all of your GPS info from XMP to EXIF you can use ExifTool by Phil Harvey (you can locate in on the Daminion folder also)

Example of the usage:

exiftool "-gps:all<all" "-gpsdatestamp<gpsdatetime" "-gpstimestamp<gpsdatetime" ...

For any command-line averse people who are interested in geotagging images that are not tagged by your camera,

Geotag (http://geotag.sourceforge.net) is great. It requires ExifTool (http://www.sno.phy.q...~phil/exiftool/) mentioned above by Murat. And the ExifToolGUI(http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/) is a great GUI front-end for the Windows version of ExifTool.

As of v0.9.9 (731) Daminion reads geotags from image files but there is not currently any way to add them manually from within Daminion. I'm using Geotag to do this.

As of v0.9.9 (731) Daminion reads geotags from image files but there is not currently any way to add them manually from within Daminion. I'm using Geotag to do this.

Thanks for this info.

This topic/request join this one :

https://daminion.net/user-forum/index.php?/topic/582-lat-long-altitude

Yes, Lat & Long should be editable but not so easy to implement this in the software because this open a big door and possible troubles...