Concurrent guest login

l.miklos

Hi all,

Teams server 6.0 (1819)

I try to login with guest access from different machines concurrently and get the following error:

"A user with the same name is already connected to Daminion Server.

Users with identical credentials cannot simultaneously connect to Daminion Server in order to prevent possible data loss"

Why is it impossible? With guest access there is no possible data loss. In earlier versions I could login (if I remember well.)

Thanks

Miklos

Hello Miklos,

yes I can remember it was possible to login with the same user from different clients. But this doesn't make sense except the new login closes the other login of the same user before automatically. I recommend to create different guest user (e.g. depending on the client: pc-user1-guest, laptop-user1-guest...).

Regards, Uwe

16 hours ago, Uwe said:

Hello Miklos,

yes I can remember it was possible to login with the same user from different clients. But this doesn't make sense except the new login closes the other login of the same user before automatically. I recommend to create different guest user (e.g. depending on the client: pc-user1-guest, laptop-user1-guest...).

Regards, Uwe

Making different guest users is not an option if I let them via web client. In this case I need i.e. 10 concurrent guests from anywhere.

Miklos

On 4/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, Uwe said:

But this doesn't make sense except the new login closes the other login of the same user before automatically.

I don't understand, why multiple logins of the same user should not make sense. Indeed, with home server you are always restricted to a single user (admin), but depending on the number of concurrent users of your license, you can log in multiple times concurrently ... at least this works for me and never showed any problem. Similarly it should work for web clients too.

The proposal to create multiple guest users requires either to assign a profile to each potential visitor or each user needs to try out, which profile is currently available. Either possibility doesn't sound very user friendly.

19 hours ago, WilfriedB said:

I don't understand, why multiple logins of the same user should not make sense. Indeed, with home server you are always restricted to a single user (admin), but depending on the number of concurrent users of your license, you can log in multiple times concurrently ... at least this works for me and never showed any problem. Similarly it should work for web clients too.

The proposal to create multiple guest users requires either to assign a user to each person or the user needs to try out, which profile is currently available. Either possibility doesn't sound very user friendly.

Exactly.

Hello,

if you login to a multi user system a session for this user is created depending on the profile of the user. If the same user logs in from a second client the existing session from the server to the first client has to be closed and a new one from server to the second client is created. That means, that the user on the second client takes over the current status of the first client (before the first session was closed) and can continue his work without any interruption.

But this "take over " scenario doesn't exist in Daminion at the moment. This is the reason either to logoff if you leave the first client and to logon with the same user on the second client OR to create different user for each client. But this can create problems depending on your license (concurrent user).

Regards, Uwe 

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

That means, that the user on the second client takes over the current status of the first client (before the first session was closed) and can continue his work without any interruption.

Sorry Uwe, I know, that is or was the concept of some multi user systems, but for sure not for all!

I don't know the intension of the Daminion developers when they designed the guest user, but it does not make any sense at all.   And again, with the home server, you always use the same profile (admin) with the desktop client and it does not take over the status from one PC to the other. Instead, after closing and restarting the client on the same PC, it recovers the same layout (e.g. the last selection shown and same of the settings) independent for the status on the other PCs.

Unfortunately, it seems no Daminion developer watches this thread 😢