Bug with Comment field ?

kalain

Hi,

While browsing images with windows Explorer, I added for test a text into "Comment" field (Commentaires), Then into Daminion, did a rescan and didn't found this text in Comment field!!

So, under Daminion if you also add a text in Comment field, then you do not find it in Comment field (Commentaires) used by windows explorer.

So, I wonder if this is a bug or may these fields called "Comments" (Commentaires) are not the same into Daminion and windows explorer.

post-891-0-77373400-1541509195_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-58169200-1541509484_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you do this on an image in Daminion it will show you all the metadata, and you can then see which field Windows uses.

post-3427-0-56311400-1541511985_thumb.jpg

There is no universal standard for using these fields. I would never tag anything in Windows. Only in Daminion.

If you have lots of photos that were tagged in Windows, you can use ExifTool to move tags from one field to another

If you do this on an image in Daminion it will show you all the metadata, and you can then see which field Windows uses.

Ok, windows uses "XP Comment" field in Exif group/section :

(See 'Brume' entered under windows)

post-891-0-13833200-1541513285_thumb.jpg

There is no universal standard for using these fields. I would never tag anything in Windows. Only in Daminion.

Well, if you fill 'Comment' field under Daminion, Show all metada (powered by ExifTool)

will show you nothing!!!

At least under windows, your 'Comment' datas are exported under 'XP Comment'.

with Daminion looks like to be compatible only with itself.

Looks like there is no possibilities to export this 'Comment' field (except if there is bug under here.) ! ?

If you have lost of photos that were tagged in Windows, you can use ExifTool to move tags from one field to another

Ok, I will look into this.

NB : This is just for testing. There no direct application behind this post, no pictured tagged in windows.

Well, if you fill 'Comment' field under Daminion, Show all metada (powered by ExifTool)

will show you nothing!!!

At least under windows, your 'Comment' datas are exported under 'XP Comment'.

with Daminion looks like to be compatible only with itself.

Looks like there is no possibilities to export this 'Comment' field (except if there is bug under here.) ! ?

Ok, I will look into this.

NB : This is just for testing. There no direct application behind this post, no pictured tagged in windows.

Did you Save the image after you entered the Daminion Comment? On my system a test comment gets written to the EXIF Field "User Comment." That's what I meant about there being no standard! :(