Place tags and Geo Coordinates (GPS)

dbrbt

Started experimenting with Daminion, and have a question regarding geolocation.

I have figured out how to create and assign "Place" tags, and also how to assign geo coordinates (GPS) to items, but is it possible to assign geo coordinates to Daminion's "place" tags? ... and if so, would those geocoordinates flow through to any items tagged with the place?

I came across some prior discussions on this topic, with hints that this is possible, but I could not figure out how to assign geocoordinates to place tags.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

... but is it possible to assign geo coordinates to Daminion's "place" tags? ... and if so, would those geocoordinates flow through to any items tagged with the place?

Beside the fact that Daminion does not have such a facility, I don't believe it is possible at all. The numerical coordinates (longitude/latitude) represent a point on the map, whereas the place is the name of an area. If the area were an rectangle, it would be possible to define it by two pairs of coordinates, but most areas we have names for, have a very irregular shape.

Using GeoSetter, as Uwe suggested, is the opposite approach: Based on the coordinates - either from a GPS track log or manually pointing on a map or (in theory) typing the long/lat numbers - GeoSetter suggests one or more place names (Country, State, City, Location). It derives those suggestions from a reverse geocoding service (such as Geonames.org, OpenStreetMap, Google Maps ... etc). While Country, State and City are usually (but not always!) clearly defined, I can rarely use the suggested Location though. However, this needs to be done before you import the images into Daminion or you need to perform an Actions -> Read Tags from File after GeoSetter updated the images.

I use this approach for all of my pictures: After copying ("ingesting") the files to disk, I start GeoSetter and it adds the coordinates based on a track produced by a GPS-logger or a Smartphone app. Sine those tracks are exact, I can modify the position by moving the marker on the map.

GeoSetter then suggests a couple of place names for each of them, which I can select and modify (i.e. typing a different name). In most cases, I modify the Location and make sure they match those pictures from the same are, I already have in Daminion. Only after having done this (and having added person tags with Picasa if applicable), I import the new images into Daminion.

• 2 weeks later...