Photo Management

rienvanham

I'm searching for the beste "Photo Management Software" and I thought that Daminion could solve my wish. But, after using Daminion for a relative long time and dealing with bugs, crashes, freezes, distroying the tags in my files etc, I've had it. I'm gonna leave Daminion now and go back to the (stable but not so comfortable) Lightroom.

And off cource I will pay for the software: it doesn't have to be free. Any suggestions (better than Lightroom - I'm not really an Adobe-fan)?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Rueb.

I'm not a great Adobe fan either but after arm wrestling Lightroom's metadata mangement

I'm searching for the beste "Photo Management Software" and I thought that Daminion could solve my wish. But, after using Daminion for a relative long time and dealing with bugs, crashes, freezes, distroying the tags in my files etc, I've had it. I'm gonna leave Daminion now and go back to the (stable but not so comfortable) Lightroom.

And off cource I will pay for the software: it doesn't have to be free. Any suggestions (better than Lightroom - I'm not really an Adobe-fan)?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Rueb.

I'm not a great Adobe fan either and after wrestling with Adobe's Lightroom metadata (mis)management for a few months, I went back to Photoshop Elements. Much less complicated than LR but still not great. Which is why I migrated to Daminion. From a metadata management perspective I seriously doubt you will find anything to beat Daminion.

I don't understand why Daminion standalone is free for small libraries. If it would help with development I'd've happily paid for a licence. I had to with PSE and LR so I was surprised I didn't have to with Daminion until I broke the 15k limit. I would have thought the typical entry level Daminion user would be prosumer who was happy to pay.

Will you not stay Rien, and help by adding your voice to those of us who are fans; critical fans but still fans?

- Paul

Hi Paul,

I agree with you that, if I can't find anything more flexible than Daminion that I will stay. But at this moment I am a little bit sick of all the crashes and hangs of the software. I have to kill (via the process manager) Daminion at least 5 times a day where LR never stops. And, off course you will think that it is a problem with my pc [windows 10]: a hardware failure in december decided me to buy a new one (the fastest at that moment) and voila: the same crashes/hangs appear.

And, as you, I payed for Daminion! So I allready helped the guys with their development and (see this forum) I allready discoverd a few bugs for them.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers,

Rien.

But at this moment I am a little bit sick of all the crashes and hangs of the software. I have to kill (via the process manager) Daminion at least 5 times a day where LR never stops. And, off course you will think that it is a problem with my pc [windows 10]: a hardware failure in december decided me to buy a new one (the fastest at that moment) and voila: the same crashes/hangs appear.

Cheers,

Rien.

In an email to Support I said almost exactly the same thing:

"I have lost count of the number of times I have had to use Windows Task Manager to kill the Daminion process - probably more than 20 times THIS WEEK alone. ..... Photoshop Elements' metadata handling may be awful, but in 10+ years of use it hasn't frozen on me once."

I may be mistaken, but to me, the app has become unstable since the release of 5.0, and when I think about that, I remember someone once told me that I should never install any software whose release number is x.0 :(

My hope is that the dev guys are working away in the background to get us a stable release ASAP.

- Paul

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Rueb.

Hello Rien,

I'm very sorry to hear you had such disappointing experience with Daminion! The developer guys try really hard to make the product stable and easy to use. I personally register all bugs as soon as I'm reported of them (and if these bugs are reproducible), however, it might take some time to fix them. My sincere apologies for this!

Could you please describe the scenarios of crashes? Did you receive any error messages or bug reports? If yes, did you send these bug reports to us? We react on each bug report accompanied with email address to collect further details on the occured issue. I just want to make sure that your crashes and reasons behind them are known issues and being processed by the developers.

Regards,

Daria

Hi Daria

Do you know of any desktop app that will record rolling video? I have looked but can't find anything.

The reason I ask is that these crashes and other issues are unpredictable and random. When an event occurs it is often impossible to retrace your steps / remember the precise sequence of events that led up to it.

So I was thinking that if there was an app that recorded the last x minutes of activity, that would help us capture what is happening.

It's not surprising you can't always reproduce the bug if we can't remember exactly what we did. (obviously I am speaking for myself. YMMV)

- Paul

I think I've only caused one crash on Daminion Server. I've run into some odd situations where moving folders aren't recognized and it takes importing the images again and/or re scanning to fix. Daminion's straightforward presentation that allows quickly looking at the database from different angles has helped me sort out issues I left uncorrected in Lightroom.

To avoid the pain associated with defects I tend to do things consistently with minimal experimentation. This isn't the best for detecting defects, but it saves me effort when dealing with 37000 images. Down the road after I get my photos reasonably organized I might do some experimentation to identify defects using a disposable database.

Hi Daria

Do you know of any desktop app that will record rolling video? I have looked but can't find anything.

The reason I ask is that these crashes and other issues are unpredictable and random. When an event occurs it is often impossible to retrace your steps / remember the precise sequence of events that led up to it.

So I was thinking that if there was an app that recorded the last x minutes of activity, that would help us capture what is happening.

It's not surprising you can't always reproduce the bug if we can't remember exactly what we did. (obviously I am speaking for myself. YMMV)

- Paul

Hello Paul,

How about My Screen Recorder Pro? http://www.deskshare.com/resources/articles/msrpro_SaveLastMins.aspx

It does allow to save of X last minutes of screen recoding

I'm going to give this app a try myself. Cannot judge so far if it's worth its $100

Regards,

Daria

Hello Paul,

How about My Screen Recorder Pro? http://www.deskshare...veLastMins.aspx

I'm going to give this app a try myself. Cannot judge so far if it's worth its $100

Regards,

Daria

Hi Daria

Well that sounds like just what we need. I will give it a try

Paul

Hi Daria

Well that sounds like just what we need. I will give it a try

Paul

Holy Moses! Have you seen the price? It's give or take $100 sorry2.gif

I'll try out the trial version and see how good it is

And, basically, it's a one trick pony. it records x minutes of activity. When you see what they are charging for a one function app you can see why I was saying that you need to charge for the standalone client. :)

- Paul

Hello Paul,

How about My Screen Recorder Pro? http://www.deskshare...veLastMins.aspx

Regards,

Daria

Hi Daria

Did you get to try it yet?

My experience has been limited and not good.

I had an issue yesterday in Map View. I stopped the recording and sliced out the relevant portion but when I came to save it it refused to do so at the resolution I had recorded it at. So I chose the option to downsize it to typical HDMI settings, on the basis that that should be universal. When I played it back it was completely illegible. See screenshot:

post-3427-0-08649300-1487334854_thumb.png

I will play with the settings, but I am not downgrading my screen resolution to accommodate the apps needs.

- Paul

I will play with the settings, but I am not downgrading my screen resolution to accommodate the apps needs.

- Paul

OK so this time round i reset the preferences to default and then the only changes I made were to file and workspace locations

I recorded a sample and sliced a piece out. When I tried to save i got the same error message 'too high a resolution.' This time, the HDMI setting of 1920 x 1080 wasn't present for selection so I had to drop down even lower.

But it worked, so we're back on track.

At £80 a licence it's still very expensive. In a commercial environment it would pay for itself easily by allowing companies to isolate root causes much quicker. but I still couldn't justify paying that much for a one trick pony for private use

I will continue with the free trial and put up with the constant reminders to buy, and the watermark

- Paul