Group integrity when moved between folders

Paul Barrett

I grouped some documents together (consecutive pages of a PDF doc that had been scanned separately).

Then I highlighted the thumbnails of these plus some other items and dragged them onto another folder.

Everything seemed OK until I rebooted my PC. When I went into the original folder, the 2nd pages had reappeared in the original folder. I moved them to their proper target folder and re-grouped them.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

- Paul

Interesting. Having worked out the relationships between the two disconnected front pages and their second pages, I moved the latter from the original directory to the target directory so I could re-group them. But I didn't need to, Daminion worked it out and fixed it.

So it seems that if it happens again all I need do is move the disconnected files to where they belong.

Still, I'd much rather they all moved together in the first place.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

In your first case, did you expand your group and select every item/page in the group? If you have the group collapsed, the operations only impact the top item.

The same also applies to tagging, the assigned tags are not "pushed" down the stack to all images. See this old thread.

-Juha

Hi Juha

No, I did not expand them first.

So I guess my question to Daminion is, 'Why should you have to do that?' Surely the point of grouping items in the first place is that you are creating a relationship between a group of objects. They share characteristics and need to be processed together.

I appreciate you may want to group say a wedding, in which there are different metadata on each photo, but I would have thought that a very obvious use case for grouping would be so you could organise photos in an import folder, in preparation for moving them to another folder. Another use case is the one I already explained, that two pages of a document were scanned separately.

At the very least, if you attempt an operation such as dragging and dropping the group to another folder, you should get a prompt, 'Some of the selected files are grouped. Do you wish to move them all? Yes / No / Cancel.'

Or if you try to apply a tag, 'Some of the selected files are grouped. Do you wish to apply the tag(s) to them all? Yes / No / Cancel'

Or if you select delete 'Some of the selected files are grouped. Do you want to delete them all? Yes / No / Cancel'

...and so on.

And if that is too complex then at least say 'Operation not allowed on grouped items, Please ungroup and try again. OK'

- Paul

• Upvote 1

At the very least, if you attempt an operation such as dragging and dropping the group to another folder, you should get a prompt, 'Some of the selected files are grouped. Do you wish to move them all? Yes / No / Cancel.'

Or if you try to apply a tag, 'Some of the selected files are grouped. Do you wish to apply the tag(s) to them all? Yes / No / Cancel'

Or if you select delete 'Some of the selected files are grouped. Do you want to delete them all? Yes / No / Cancel'

...and so on.

And if that is too complex then at least say 'Operation not allowed on grouped items, Please ungroup and try again. OK'

I agree, the way grouping and dealing with grouped items currently work, creates many unexpected results.