Saving Metadata Changes to File

Mardon

Even after using Daminion since the Alpha builds, I'm ashamed to say that I still don't understand how to correctly save metadata changes to the original RAW file. Can someone provide an explanation?

As the attached image shows, I want to save metadata to my RAW files, not sidecars, and I have set the Server Administration accordingly.

One thing I don't completely understand is the use of the "Sync" button. I need an explanation. See attached image. It seems like the only way I can get metadata changes to be written to the original RAW file is to click on "Write tags to file" every time that metadata is changed.

I'm getting a bit frustrated because too often I think that I have saved my Daminion metadata changes to a RAW file only to notice that when I later create a jpeg from the RAW file, the metadata that I thought I had added is missing.

Can someone provide a clear step-by-step of what I have to do to make sure that when I change/add/delete metadata in Daminion that the same change gets made to the original RAW file.

Thanks

post-1142-0-57498100-1485870784_thumb.jpg

Hello Mardon,

as far as I can see you did everything very well. I use the sidecar settings but like in your settings the Synchronization is always on in my client.

Which metadata do you miss? Does it happen randomly?

Regards, Uwe

Hello Mardon,

as far as I can see you did everything very well. I use the sidecar settings but like in your settings the Synchronization is always on in my client.

Which metadata do you miss? Does it happen randomly?

Regards, Uwe

Thanks Uwe. The issue doesn't seem to be dependent on which piece of metadata I have edited. I'm thinking maybe it is time dependent. The process of writing the metadata into RAW files is very slow, so maybe I'm not giving enough time for all the files to be written before I try to use one of the files for creating a jpeg. I wonder if that could be it.

Thanks Uwe. The issue doesn't seem to be dependent on which piece of metadata I have edited. I'm thinking maybe it is time dependent. The process of writing the metadata into RAW files is very slow, so maybe I'm not giving enough time for all the files to be written before I try to use one of the files for creating a jpeg. I wonder if that could be it.

Interesting. I have just scanned a large number of photos to TIFF format and i am finding that various functions are not working well. I was just coming to a similar conclusion, that writing and handling the large files (stored on my NAS) was causing a bottleneck.

Paul

I am a relatively new user.

I started with the standalone version in August 2016 and never had an issue

I switched to the server version in December and I have had issue after issue. I have had to use Task Manager to kill a frozen session 4 or 5 times since the New Year. Deletions aren't working, File moves don't work. I don't know why it's gone so wrong. Daria's being terrific as always but, much as I like dealing with her, I would prefer a system that just worked, like it used to

If it goes on like this I may just dump the server version and go back to the standalone version, Folder Watch was what I wanted more than anything, so I could make changes in Explorer, Daminion, File Station and Photo Station and they would all synchronise.

If I have to go back to doing changes in just one place, and rescanning manually I think that might be the price I have to pay for stability.

- Paul

• Upvote 1

I also have a problem of save of meta tags in a file (jpeg)

Here's how:

You have already sorted files, keywords, categories. I stand daminion means the files to another folder, changing the reference to a new folder, make changes to categories (assign category under the new name of the folder) and click the Sync button in the metadata file ... there is a process, but it successfully passes only a portion of the file .. . part is not synchronized for some reason. BUT! If I make it through the menu (action-save to a file metadata), it is likely all files are synchronized properly ... Although there have been cases that helped new rescan folders new and manually launch synchronization via the action menu.