new Server for Daminion Server

rene

Hello Daminion Community,

I hope everybody had great Christmas holidays.

I decided to purchase a new server, mine is simply too slow working in daminion.

I need a lot of space and as compact as possible. therefore my questions, which server would you choose?

Right now I'm using a HP Data Vault X311 - Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 - Intel Atom D510 Dual Core 1.6GHz - 4GB-RAM.

I would prefere a small system with no extra monitor mouse and keyboard.

Further I would like to store all our Home Videos as well and stream it to our Apple TVs.

thank you

Hello Rene,

there are much more questions:

- where is the bottleneck today - the CPU, RAM, the discs, the LAN?

- is Daminion Server the only application running on this server?

- how many concurrent user are going to work on the server?

- what kind of parallel activities are they doing (import, edit, view)

- how much data storage do you need?

- How do you want to design the system (system, catalog, thumbnails SSD, harddiscs for the data, RAID)?

- what is the maximum data transfer speed to the client? I guess 1GB LAN - that means the max. speed is about 100MB/s that the server has to deliver.

- Does it have to be a Windows Server or Linux with Wine? Does it have to be a server system - why not using a Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows 10 PRO?

- What about backup strategy - directly running on the server to internal discs/external connected USB discs or via LAN started by the client and backup on discs on the client or additional NAS in the LAN?

Regards, Uwe

Hello Uwe,

to your questions:

not sure about the bottleneck, probably the CPU.

my system:

HP Data Vault X311 - Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 - Intel Atom D510 Dual Core 1.6GHz - 4GB-RAM.

aside with Daminion Server the server will have to run avast business virus protection, and iHomeServer or iTunes to stream videos to the Apple TVs.

we will have maximum 2 concurrent connections. we are importing stuff during the night so the machine works during the day.

I would think we need 3-4TB for the Photos and around3-4 TB for the Videos.

I can install a different system as well for sure, however I want to avoid the need to add external monitors, keyboards and mouses to that machine.

as for the backup. I have duplicates of the discs in a safe place and once i added new files I insert them and sync the drives.

thank you for your help

Hello Rene,

not sure about the bottleneck, probably the CPU.

my system:

HP Data Vault X311 - Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 - Intel Atom D510 Dual Core 1.6GHz - 4GB-RAM.

Please check, using the Task Manager what happens when the Server works. Is the CPU/are the kernels used 100%. If not it doesn't make sense to upgrade because not even the existing hardware is used on the limit.

The Windows Home Server 2011 is a 64 bit system. Daminion Server 32bit but you can install the 64bit postgreSQL. That means Daminion itself can address max 4Gb but postgrSQL 64bit doesn't have this limit.

Please check if the RAM is a bottleneck when the Daminion Server + the additional software is working.

I would think we need 3-4TB for the Photos and around3-4 TB for the Videos.

ok, but how many discs are working? And is the current system installed on a SSD? It's a difference if you have one slow 8TB for the photos and videos or "many" (depending on the RAID level) discs. Or one disk for the photos another one for the videos. A big and expensive SSD for the photos and a harddisc for the videos because you are much more working with the photos BUT the SSD doesn't make sense in this server because of the 1GB/s limitation of the LAN ...

You should check the current discs performance: what happens when you generate traffic (e.g. a lot of parallel tag assignment). Is the disc a bottleneck?

Regards, Uwe