1481 - read tags from file - doesn't check current synchronize process

Uwe

Hello,

there is a long running process, adjusting geo metadata of >2000 items.

Parallel I assigned tags to a TIF item in the Properties Panel (title, description...) and saved them.

After some seconds I called the action "Read tags from file" for this TIF item. The result: all just entered tags are removed.

I guess the action "Read tags from file" doesn't read the synchronize queue to check if there are already actions for this item in the queue.

AND: the long running action finished and the TIF item was not updated by the previously entered metadata - where did they get lost or have they ever been in the synchronize queue?

Regards, Uwe

Hello Uwe,

the second (parallel) action, i.e assigning tags to a TIF file, was added to the synchronize queue and supposed to be implemented once assigning of geo tags was finished. Tags assigned to this Tif file were not embedded into it when you called the action Read tags from file, that's why the propeties fields got empty - there was nothing to read from the file.

Now you need to tag this Tiff file again. And just for your information, in the sync queue not the tags, but files' IDs are added.

Daria

Tags assigned to this Tif file were not embedded into it when you called the action Read tags from file, that's why the propeties fields got empty - there was nothing to read from the file.

Hello,

this is what I didn't understand.

From my point of view, each request to do something in a multi-user system/parallel processing system (assign tags, remove tags, remove items from catalog/disc...) should be queued with the time stamp the action was created (e.g. by the save command, drag and drop...). Going this way an action can't "pass" any other action that handles the same item.

In my case, the "read tags from file" had to be queued and because there was another action before with the same item (assign tags). If there wasn't a previous action in the queue the "read tags from file" could be performed immediately.

And: why wasn't the TIF file updated at the end (it was added to the queue) and the geo tag assignment was finished?

Regards, Uwe

Hello Uwe,

I'll try to explain. Actually, it took Valery quite a long time to explain me this, because this was what I didn't understand either :)

The actions "Read Tags from File" and "Write Tags to File" are not added to the sync queue; these are taken on the fly. In your case, there were two queued processes: (1)assigning of geo tags and (2)updating tags of the TIF file in the database. The sync queue contains IDs of the items and info about the tags to be updated (e.g. ID 2658, Tags - Description and Place) but not the tag's values because these can be changed multiple times when the item is waiting for its queue for updating.

And that's what happened: the 1st sync process is not finished > you read tags from the TIF file > tags values in the properties panel turn empty because there was nothing to read from metadata > the 2nd sync process starts > Daminion refers to the item's id and the tags names, but the values were changed (emptied) and there is nothing to sync anymore.

Hope my explaination is more or less clear...

just out of curiousity...Why did you do "Read tags from file"? :)

best regards,

Daria

The actions "Read Tags from File" and "Write Tags to File" are not added to the sync queue; these are taken on the fly.

Hello Daria,

this is the explanation I understand and now it's very clear for me.

That also means: the action "Write tags to file" works without the sync queue and the action created by pressing the "Save" button is queued.

Now this question remains for me: should the actions "Write Tags to file" and "Read Tags from file" be part of the user role "Editor"? I would say: No, because with the workflow I made in this example the "Read Tags from file" action "deleted" the tags from the database (entered before in the Properties Panel) and the action in the queue, created by the "Save" button has nothing to update, as explained by you above.

just out of curiousity...Why did you do "Read tags from file"? :)

This is what I wanted to test to understand how does it work.

Many thanks and best regards,

Uwe