File Explorer very slow on folder handled by Daminion

dimbulb

After running Daminion and including a rather large directory tree with images, it seems that now Win 10 File Explorer takes minutes to display the contents, compared to seconds prior to including the tree in Daminion.

Any reasons for this?

Any 'fixes'?

Would removing a folder tree from Daminion remove all extra files, if any added as part of including the tree in Daminion?

Hi dimbulb!

Do you have the auto-synchronization on? If so, try to turn it temporarily off.

Daria

That would be within Daminion?

But, the problem is not in Daminion, it is in Win 10.

Opening the base directory where the graphics file are in File Explorer can take almost 5 minutes :-(

That would be within Daminion?

But, the problem is not in Daminion, it is in Win 10.

Opening the base directory where the graphics file are in File Explorer can take almost 5 minutes :-(

1. In what mode are the files displayed in File Explorer? Icons\thumbnails or Details mode or other one?

2. Were the files imported via local or network path?

3. What file types are prevailing?

4. Can you still try to turn off the auto-sync in Daminion (if on)? It's a quite resource-intensive process and it might cause this problem.

Daria

1. In what mode are the files displayed in File Explorer? Icons\thumbnails or Details mode or other one?

2. Were the files imported via local or network path?

3. What file types are prevailing?

4. Can you still try to turn off the auto-sync in Daminion (if on)? It's a quite resource-intensive process and it might cause this problem.

Daria

My display option is set to 'list' only. No icons, not thumbnails.

And the files are all local.

It is a directory tree with most of my graphic file as well as other support files, including some backups as I was trying to sort out some 'duplicates' issue - making sure I carried at least one copy in my 'master'.

The only way I seemed to be able to resolve this problem and make the scanning and display happen in a reasonably quick way was to move part of the directory tree out into another.

So perhaps it is not tied to Daminion only, though I suspect my trying a couple of different image managers is part of the problem. It seems each one builds its own set of thumbnails which then clutter up the disk and in effect, each one nearly doubles the number of files in the tree.

Removing the test app does not necessarily clean up all of the extra files left behind :-(

I doubt that the problem is related to auto-sync since the scanning takes just as long when Daminion is not even .running