Question - Design of the Tray

Uwe

Hello,

now the Tray belongs to the activ catalog. It doesn't matter whether the Tray window is docked in the Daminion client or out of the Daminion client.

If there are 2 open catalogs the content of the Tray changes depending on the selected activ catalog.

But why not making the Tray independent on the activ catalog? Going this way I can put items from different catalogs in the Tray.

What's your opinion?

Regards, Uwe

During the very long time the Tray panel was independent from active catalogs and you could put items from multiple catalogs to the same tray.

However this approach had some disadvantages:

- It wasn't possible to assign items from Tray to Tag tree

- It wasn't possible to save state of Tray after restarting the program

- It wasn't possible to export items from Tray

- It wasn't possible to create collections from Tray items

In order to implement all the above functinality we needed to tie Tray with Active Catalog.

During the very long time the Tray panel was independent from active catalogs and you could put items from multiple catalogs to the same tray.

However this approach had some disadvantages:

- It wasn't possible to assign items from Tray to Tag tree

- It wasn't possible to save state of Tray after restarting the program

- It wasn't possible to export items from Tray

- It wasn't possible to create collections from Tray items

In order to implement all the above functinality we needed to tie Tray with Active Catalog.

Hello,

thank you for the explanation.

My way to use the Tray is: I "collect" all items there temporary that I want to use for a certain project, e.g. a photobook.

I assign all items that might belong to a certain part or chapter of the book from the Thumbnail Window to the Tray an then I decide which of them will be used for the book. When the chapter is ready I remove the items from the Tray.

I this case I don't do any action you decribed above (I do it in the Thumbnail Window) but can be/are important for other users.

Hello Daminion users: how do you use the Tray?

Regards, Uwe