Discussion around Tray usage

kalain

@Uwe, unlike RouteConverter GPXViewer is not a PC application, but needs to be started via its URL in a Web browser and and then select the GPX file. Did you find a way to open GPXViewer and pass the path for the .GPX to it, simply by clicking the .GPX file in Daminion or do you still need to search in your folders after opening GPXViewer? Anyway thanks a lot for this tip!

Hello,

unfortunately there isn't a way to start the GPX-Viewer using a command line with the GPX-file. I got this information from the developer of the GPX-Viewer today.

One can insert the GPX_Viewer in the "Open with" action. But it doesn't work with double-click and one has to select the GPX file manually.

An option is to include the call of the GeoSetter to the "Open with" action. This works a little bit more comfortable. The right click on the GPX-item in Daminion opens the GeoSetter.exe and points to the folder of the selected GPX-file. One has to activate the track(s) of this folder in GeoSetter. Then one can use all of the GeoSetter functions. When done one has to call the "Read Tags from file" action to import the changes made by GeoSetter into the Daminion catalog.

Another option is the double-click on a GPX-item: it opens the Garmin Basecamp.exe. It's freeware. Also there it's possible to add Geo metadata but I don't know which formats are supported to assign Geo metadata to a file. I use Basecamp and some Open Street Maps e.g. to merge multiple GPX-files and to adjust GPX-files but not for any other activity.

Regards, Uwe

Thanks a lot, Uwe.

I forget to mention, I already assigned the first entry of "Open with" to GeoSetter a while ago, so selecting an JPG and simply typing the letter V opens it. Inside GeoSetter I can perform "Zoom Map to all locations of selected images" (via a shortcut).

Although, GeoSetter can also display the track, if the .gpx file(s) is in the same folder, I am still watching for other ways to open to find and open it quickly, since GeoSetter has some overhead, if there are many files in the folder.

Anyway, after getting the idea to import .gpx into Daminion and open RouteConverter easily from there, seems to be a good approach. One thing I like at that point, is the capability to complete a single track point with the street address, which I copy and paste into the properties in Daminion for a more detailed description without having to type much.

For GPX-Viewer, I am just curious if there are better solutions and I will certainly watch at Basecamp too - thanks for that tip!