Build 1048 - Issue with TIFF files after adding Exif data

fhahn

I have been having issues with the Exif data within TIFF files. Something has been corrupting the DateTimeOriginal and CreateDate fields.

I scan my old negatives and save the output as TIFF files. I then use ExifToolGUI to enter dates in the above two fields. Sometimes I also add Iptc:Province-State, Iptc:City, Exif:ImageDescription, etc.

I have been trying to figure out what has been corrupting the time/date fields. Tonight, I started with a BMP file, saved it to a TIFF, added the DateTimeOriginal and CreateDate fields and then made a backup copy. I then imported one of the files into Daminion, changed the Place fields of State and Country.

I then opened this modified file in ExifToolGUI and now I see the corrupted DateTimeOriginal and CreateDate fields. I have attached the files below.

Capture10-2-2014-7.03.05 PM.jpg - This is a screen shot from ExifToolGUI of time/date fields.

1974.06.01_-_img_0004-unmodified.tif - This image has the correct time/date fields.

1974.06.01_-_img_0004-modified.tif - This image has been updated with the City/State via Daminion and now the time/date fields are incorrect.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

P.S. I zip the files to get them below the upload limit.

post-1845-0-75135000-1412299033_thumb.jpg

1974.06.01_-_img_0004-modified.zip

1974.06.01_-_img_0004-unmodified.zip

Hallo Frank,

the reason of your problem is already posted here in the forum.

It's the problem with the seconds in the DateTime. If the value of the seconds is "00" the import of Daminion cuts the seconds. Other programs like Geosetter check this in more Details and send an error message in this case.

A Workaround in Daminion for you is: enter the seconds with value "01", save the changes and than enter the seconds value "00" and save again. Now you have the right DateTime Information.

I'm also waiting for a bug fix. The problem is an old one, was already fixed but is back now.

Regards, Uwe

Uwe:

I searched for both TIF and TIFF but did see anything that looked like what is happening. Do you remember the name or what I should look for?

Also, I tried changing the time stamp from within Daminion but the files have the same problem. It looks like I will have to recreate these files and use ExifToolGUI to copy the data back into the files.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

I thought at first this affected just TIFF files but I have now found many of my JPG files have this problem also.

I have a lot of scans of negatives or slides where I set the time/date like so:

1975:12:25 12:00:00

Looking through some of my files, I see that some of the JPGs are affected and some are not so I am not seeing a pattern.

Frank Hahn