[1025] Tags not Written to File (JPG)

WilfriedB

After adding a new Categories tag to a JPG image, an Item -> Action -> Write Tags to file does not seem to do anything. Although the Modified time stamp is updated, the new tag neither shows up in GeoSetter nor in PhotoMe. I also tried to import the image into Expression Media 2 without any results.

Being new to Daminion, I might have made a mistake or understood some thing wrong regarding how Write Tags to file is supposed to work ...?

Using Daminion 3.3 (1025) standalone on Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.

thanks

I noticed that after modifying keywords for an image - before writing tags to file for that image I need to click on a different image first, and then write tags to file. If I just modify keywords and try to write them to file before selecting a different image - keyword changes are not recorded.

Please check whether your JPEG file doesn't have the Readonly attribute. And can you please send me this JPEG file for analyzing?

Murat, I just sent the file via email since it exceeds the 2MB limit.

I added the Categories tag "Skulpturen" inside Daminion to that file and other images. When I select Action -> Write Tags to File, the modification time stamp is indeed updated, but I don't see the new tag in any other program.

I noticed that after modifying keywords for an image - before writing tags to file for that image I need to click on a different image first, and then write tags to file. If I just modify keywords and try to write them to file before selecting a different image - keyword changes are not recorded.

if you change someting in the Properties Panel please take care for the "Save" in the bottom of the window.

Thanks for the suggestions, WarriorOne and Uwe. I tried several variations to no success. Since you both confirm, "it should work", I will continue trying to find out what is different here ... :search:

Thanks for the suggestions, WarriorOne and Uwe. I tried several variations to no success. Since you both confirm, "it should work", I will continue trying to find out what is different here ... :search:

It might be that the changes are being saved to files, but your other programs are not picking them up?

You can easily check if your changes are being saved if you right click on your image and select Actions -> Show All Metadata. That will actually read metadata from the file and show you all the metadata in that file.

It might be that the changes are being saved to files, but your other programs are not picking them up?

You can easily check if your changes are being saved if you right click on your image and select Actions -> Show All Metadata. That will actually read metadata from the file and show you all the metadata in that file.

This was indeed my first thought too, so I checked with GeoSetter and via GeoSetter the complete Output of ExifTool, then also PhotoMe which, from my experience shows the most complete set of metadata. Then I used a Hex-Editor and searched for the character string.

You tip, to use Actions -> Show All Metadata is a good one, I haven't thought of and I just verified that too. But I understood, under the covers Daminion also uses ExifTool for that, so it results in the same data GeoSetter shows me via Image Info (Ctrl-.I).

Further investigation did show something, which could be a hint. PhotoMe (probably via ExifTool) reports this:

9 problems were found in the metadata of this file.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. GPS tag [0x0009] is empty

The referenced tag has a length of 0. PhotoME has identified this as a problem.

Possible reasons:

• The metadata may have been damaged by other software

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x0009]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. GPS tag [0x000A] is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x000A]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

3. Manufacturer notes tag [0x0010] is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x0010]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

4. Manufacturer notes tag [0x0018] is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x0018]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

5. Manufacturer notes tag [0x0020] is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x0020]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

6. Manufacturer notes tag [0x0104] is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x0104]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

7. Manufacturer notes tag [0x0114] is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "[0x0114]" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

8. Manufacturer notes tag Preview Image is empty

Possible reasons:

• PhotoME was not able to determinate the correct base address of the Maker Notes. This could happen if "Preview Image" is a tag in a Maker Note IFD.- There is no problem, the tag is intended to be empty

9. Corrected the base for maker notes - offset now shifted by +702

The base address of the Maker Notes is not correct.

This problem often occurs after saving images using image editing software and image management software, which may not process the Maker Notes correctly.

PhotoME has attempted to correct the address.

And can you please send me this JPEG file for analyzing?

OK, I got one step further:

When I add a Keyword tag, it does write the tags to file! Using exactly the same image, I sent to Murat. But it does not write any tags under Categories (which should show in GeoSetter as "Supplemental Categories".

However, after I finally succeeded to make Daminion write something to file, I noticed a change with the embedded thumbnail: In other programs (not in Daminion) it shows upside down now and in different colors.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually experiencing the same problem too now - there are a few jpg files in to which I can't write keywords and ratings.

This problem only affects some jpeg pictures from my Samsung Galaxy S4. Exiftool can read and write to this files fine, but Daminion is not writing anything for some reason.

This started happening right after I turned on GeoTagging option for pictures on Samsung Galaxy S4. Before geo-tagging was turned-on Daminion was able to process this jpegs fine.

I went one step further and stripped geo-tagging (and other metadata) from those troubleshome jpgs using Exiftool but I still can't write anything in to them with Daminion.

Please help!!!

It doesn't seem to be dependent on the camera. I tested with NIKON COOLPIX P520 and Sony SLT-A55V with the same results:

• Daminion does write Keywords (did you try this WarriorOne?)
  • it does neither write Description (Caption) nor Categories (Supplemental Categories)

In the case of Categories, I added a completed new one, when there was none before and I also tried to change an existing category.

When the Keywords are written, also the embedded thumbnail is updated, changing its orientation and color.

It doesn't seem to be dependent on the camera. I tested with NIKON COOLPIX P520 and Sony SLT-A55V with the same results:

• Daminion does write Keywords (did you try this WarriorOne?)
  • it does neither write Description (Caption) nor Categories (Supplemental Categories)

In the case of Categories, I added a completed new one, when there was none before and I also tried to change an existing category.

When the Keywords are written, also the embedded thumbnail is updated, changing its orientation and color.

That's odd. I used Daminion to update thousands of images in the last few weeks - there was no problems with Categories not being written. I now found a handful of files (from Samsung Galaxy S4) that I can't write to at all with Daminion, but other than that, everything worked.

Actually I just did a quick test and added Keywords, Title, Description, and Categories to one of my pictures and checked where those fields were actually being written to inside the jpeg file with Exiftool:

Keywords:

XMP-dc:Subject

XMP-microsoft:LastKeywordIPTC

XMP-microsoft:LastKeywordXMP

XMP-lr:HierarchicalSubject

IPTC:Keywords

Title:

XMP-dc:Title

IPTC:ObjectName

Description:

XMP-dc:Description

EXIF:ImageDescription

Categories:

IPTC:SupplementalCategories

You can ran Exiftool with -s -G:0:1 and "path/name of file" options to get that information about your images.

Wooohoo, I found the cause of the problem (why Daminion was unable to write any metadata in to JPGs that came from Samsung Galaxy S4 that had camera GPS tagging enabled).

Apperently Daminion was stumbling on this entry:

[EXIF:GPS] GPSAltitude : 4294962.333 m

That's a jpeg straight from Samsung phone. I think this should be fixed.

In the mean-time I fixed the problem with ExifTool:

ExifTool -GPSAltitude=0 -r directoryname

I think Daminion should produce an ERROR message if it can't write to files instead of silently ignoring the problem. I only discovered this problem by accident when trying to read the data from another application that Daminion should have written in to files, but didn't.

• Upvote 1

Wooohoo, I found the cause of the problem (why Daminion was unable to write any metadata in to JPGs that came from Samsung Galaxy S4 that had camera GPS tagging enabled).

Apperently Daminion was stumbling on this entry:

[EXIF:GPS] GPSAltitude : 4294962.333 m

Almost all of my images are GEO tagged, so very likely it does play a role. But the file I sent to Murat does have a normal value for GPS Altitude of 25 m Above Sea Level.

So today I choose an image without GPS values and the Categories were indeed written to file successfully :ok:. However, for the same image I also changed the Description (Caption), which was not written to the file :sad:

The problem was due to the issue with updating the GPSAltitude tag. So if an image has a non-empty Altitude value it breaks writing all other tags that follows after the XMP GPS Altitude.

A new build will be available today with the bug fix.

Thanks for the sample image and for the discussion!

Great, the cause was discovered. :victory:

Nevertheless, I'd like to remind to WarriorOne's sugestion: "Daminion should produce an ERROR message if it can't write to files". With the complexity of embedded metadata and the uncertainty who created it in the first place, this could happen again at any time.

I just installed Build 1028 and was able to write the Categories to one of the files, I first noticed the problem with :ok:.

Next step was to write the tags for all 18 images of that set and Daminion hangs, consuming a little than 50% CPU of a two core processor for several minutes while not performing any I/O :sad:.

So, I canceled the operation after 5 minutes at least, tried to use "Open with" to start GeoSetter, which resulted in freeze again and eventually crashing. ---> sent a crash report.

After the crash, I looked at the files with GeoSetter and found, before crashing, Daminion was able to write the tags to 3 of 18 files.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

New to Daminion, I'm experimenting it, but have some issues with it.

Wilfried did mention (message #13) some errors with PhotoME, with no response. I am interesting in it...

My testing of Daminion metadata writing is as described :

- New image directly from SD card (Canon DSLR) to disc (no Canon software DPP)

- Use of ExifTool v9.69 and ExifToolGUI to export metadata info to txt file

- Use of PhotoME (0.79R17) to export metadata to txt file

- Modification of some tags using Daminion (city, country, copyright, keywords...), saving to database, and saving to image file

- Use of ExifToolGUI to export metadata of "new" image

- Use of PhotoME to export metadata to new txt file

I then compare the 4 exported .txt files.

- PhotoME complains, as Wilfried expressed it, but seems to be able to read the Maker Notes category, as it was on the reference file

- ExifTool complains also, but is not able to read the Maker Notes category any more...

So, when looking only at ExifTool, data seems to be erased.

This is the same with with the embedded version of ExifTool into Daminion (v9.54 if I remember well).

As PhotoMe reads the data, this may be an issue with ExifTool, isn't it? But anyway, PhotoME is also complaining...

Vincent