[1024] bug report or feature request - visibility of tags

rene

hey folks,

got another feature request, not sure if this has been mentioned already.

When I mark a picture the subtag this image is assigned to is marked gree, this is good so far (red might be better though. My problem is, that if this tag is in a subtag, the parent tag isn't green, which would be logical.

attached is a screenshot post-1019-0-40419000-1402313104_thumb.png

thanks rene

• Upvote 1

When I mark a picture the subtag this image is assigned to is marked gree, this is good so far (red might be better though. My problem is, that if this tag is in a subtag, the parent tag isn't green, which would be logical.

I completely agree with Rene. The highlighting in grey color and italic seems very hard to see. I liked very much the way iView (a.k.a Expression Media) shows those tags in blue color and the parent tags in blue and bold.

Highlighting parent tags helps to locate assigned tags, however it will hide the fact whether this parent tag was explicitly assigned to selected file.

True! I just verified, also iView only highlights the parent, when the tag was explicitly assigned. My point was mainly regarding which color is better for highlighting. I find it hard to locate the grey italic terms.

Highlighting parent tags helps to locate assigned tags, however it will hide the fact whether this parent tag was explicitly assigned to selected file.

Hey Murat,

I agree with you.

What about this:

We could have the parent tags to be colored blue and the actuall assigned tag green.

René

• Upvote 1

True! I just verified, also iView only highlights the parent, when the tag was explicitly assigned. My point was mainly regarding which color is better for highlighting. I find it hard to locate the grey italic terms.

We changed experimentally the Green Italic font style to the Red color.

Below is one of the possible ways to draw the selected tags:

highlighting-of-tags.gif

The below keywords were assigned to a selected image:

• animals\pets\dog\mixed breed
  • animals\pets\cat\lazy cat
  • animals\pets\reptile\crocodile

Personally I guess it looks like a mess, but any thoughts are welcome :)

Another scheme that could be incorporated after combining the Assign Tags and Filted Tags modes:

highlighting-tags-2.gif

To me, the first proposal looks perfect and not messy at all. Using red or blue color is a minor question. The currently used shade of green simply doesn't stick out enough. Using blue and bold may even be more intense, but less "aggressive" than red ?

I cannot say much regarding combining the Assign Tags and Filter Tags modes. To be honest, I did not completely realize the advantage of the Assign Tags mode yet. Removing the need to switch between both modes could be beneficial though.

I just found out there is a Build 1027 and installed it. In Creation Datetime year and month are highlighted in red and the day in red and bold. This looks good to me :victory:.

In Place only the sublocation shows in red und I suggest to make it the same as for Creation Datetime, so that Country, State and City are highlighted too.

In Categories it looks similar to Creation Datetime.

Bug, feature or simply incomplete implementation?

I noticed, the tags are highlighted only in the case, when only a single image is selected. When I select more than one image, no tag is highlighted.

Also, I don't know, what others' opinion on the following is:

I would prefer to have the uppermost level in the Catalog Tags highlighted too. I mean while Folders, Media Format and Creation Datetime always must be present, it may be beneficial to see at a glance without expanding the tree, whether or not a Keyword, Category, Place, Rating, Copyrights(!) .... etc was assigned to a certain set of images. I know, there is the "Unassigned" tag, but requires to expand the tree branch.

I noticed, the tags are highlighted only in the case, when only a single image is selected. When I select more than one image, no tag is highlighted.

Highlighting tags of multiple file selection might freeze the selection process (depending on the number of selected tags), and it will be unclear what tags are belonged to what files.

We need to then draw tags that were assigned to all selected files from those that were assigned to part of the selection. This makes the situation difficult to implement for us and difficult to understand for Daminion users. So we decided to highlight tags for a single selected item only.

Also, I don't know, what others' opinion is:

I would prefer to have the uppermost level in the Catalog Tags highlighted too. I mean while Folders, Media Format and Creation Datetime always must be present, it may be beneficial to see at a glance without expanding the tree, whether or not a Keyword, Category, Place .... etc was assigned to a selected set of images. I know, there is the "Unassigned" tag, but requires to expand the tree branch.

Would you like to see this info in the tags tree or in the thumbnail view? The request from the topic starter is belonged to highlighting the parent tags. Will try to draw a visual prototype on this weekend regarding this task.

Does anybody else want to highlight the Tag title names in addition to tag value parents?

So we decided to highlight tags for a single selected item only.

:sad: ... too bad, I appreciated this very much in iView, which did so since I used it the first time with version 2. I understand the issue, when the number of selected items is extremely big. Would there be a chance to say something like "not more than 100 items selected"?

Would you like to see this info in the tags tree or in the thumbnail view?

I meant the tags tree.