Sorting possibilities & other suggestions

Suigintou

I just recently began using Daminion, and although I had a bumpy start, I've gotten used to using it for what I need without getting too big a headache in the process. Plus, it's free, rather full-featured, and lets me turn off a lot of the things that I don't use, and focus on that which I do.

However, there are a few things that I'd like to figure out how to do in the program-- and if they aren't currently possible, then I'd like to suggest them as future features (Especially the first one).

1. The ability to sort via Windows' (admittedly probably retarded) sorting mechanism vs. whatever sort method Daminion uses, when sorting by filename.

The two big differences I've noticed are how they sort are:

--Numbers: Daminion appears to sort by literal filename, whereas Windows seems to try and interpret the actual numeric value. Given eight files named 0.jpg, 786.jpg, 80.jpg, 03.jpg, 01_red_sky.jpg, 104.jpg, 08NZ.jpg, and 00106.jpg,

• Daminion sorts them like [0.jpg, 00106.jpg, 01_red_sky.jpg, 03.jpg, 08NZ.jpg, 104.jpg, 80.jpg, 786.jpg]
  • Windows sorts them like [0.jpg, 01_red_sky.jpg, 03.jpg, 08NZ.jpg, 80.jpg, 104.jpg, 00106.jpg, 786.jpg]

...I'll admit that Daminion's method certainly makes more logical sense, but still, if I'm trying to coordinate between how windows lists them and how Daminion does, it really throws me off.

--Case sensitivity: Daminion sorts A through Z, then a through z, whereas Windows doesn't check for case sensitivity at all. This is driving me insane. I really can't remember the last time it was vitally important that I be able to keep capitalized and lowercase letters separate. It might be important for some people, but for me, having Daminion do things this way seems like a horrible idea.

2. The option to turn off various confirmation dialogs (like the one for keyword-tag deletion, to name a specific example).

3. The ability to manually set thumbnail sizes (at least, in compact mode).

EDIT: Just now found the slider for this. Was wondering what that thing did. Could have been a little more clearly marked, like with a tooltip or something (unless it does have one and it's not showing up on mine for some reason.)

4. An easily-located "Remove all keyword tags from selected files" option on the dropdown menu.

(I actually figured out this one already by doing some looking around on the forums here, but I'd like to add my support for allowing this to be more easily done).

Despite my complaints and nitpicking, I really am liking the program. Thank you for making it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback! I've added the #1 request into our feature list.

4. An easily-located "Remove all keyword tags from selected files" option on the dropdown menu.

(I actually figured out this one already by doing some looking around on the forums here, but I'd like to add my support for allowing this to be more easily done).

This option can be located from the dropdown menu of the Properties panel (when you'll right click on a keyword).

Adding too many options in the dropdown list of the thumbnail view makes finding other options harder so we put the limited number of the most frequently used commands only into this dropdown menu.

• 11 months later...

3. The ability to manually set thumbnail sizes (at least, in compact mode).

EDIT: Just now found the slider for this. Was wondering what that thing did. Could have been a little more clearly marked, like with a tooltip or something (unless it does have one and it's not showing up on mine for some reason.)

The full screen view uses Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus to enlarge and scale down the image. I'd appreciate, if the same key combination could be used in the thumbnail view to change the size of the thumbnails. To me, this would be much easier to learn and to use than the tiny slide bar and consistent with many other programs.

• Upvote 1

Six-Fingered Doll wrote a year ago:

Case sensitivity: Daminion sorts A through Z, then a through z, whereas Windows doesn't check for case sensitivity at all. This is driving me insane. I really can't remember the last time it was vitally important that I be able to keep capitalized and lowercase letters separate. It might be important for some people, but for me, having Daminion do things this way seems like a horrible idea.

The bug "Sorting by file name is case sensitive" is still there. I do not understand why this has not been solved yet (it was even in the daminion roadmap for 3.3 - but seems to have been deleted).

I have stopped using daminion because of this bug.

But perhaps there is still hope that this gets solved...??? Otherwise daminion is a great software, just not usable with that bug at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

The problem with case sensitive sorting is related to the default SQLite database settings that we use.

Could you please confirm, that:

- All is Ok with English strings on your local catalogs and shared catalogs?

- All is Ok with both National and English strings on both local and shared catalogs?

CincyTriGuy, Phoenix2014, and Montonero as a temporary solution I can convert your std licenses to the server license (1 connection) and this issue will be fixed. Let me know by PM.

The full screen view uses Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus to enlarge and scale down the image. I'd appreciate, if the same key combination could be used in the thumbnail view to change the size of the thumbnails. To me, this would be much easier to learn and to use than the tiny slide bar and consistent with many other programs.

Just in case you don't already know that: You can also easily zoom in and out by holding down the "ctrl" key + mouse scroll wheel.

Just in case you don't already know that: You can also easily zoom in and out by holding down the "ctrl" key + mouse scroll wheel.

Thank you Sedat, but I don't use a mouse with scroll wheel. I understand this can be used instead of Ctrl-+, but I'm not sure, this applies to the Thumbnail view too .... ?

• 10 months later...