Thumbnails disappearing

Yorkie71

My catalogue is local, but I suspect from the discussions I have had with Gary that his is shared.

I wanted to suggest him to test a special (unstable) build with disabled PING command. But it's easy to do with local version on a test local catalog, cause a new Daminion version will update the existing database.

In addition, thumbnail generation on other DAM applications works fine.

We additionaly check an availability of remote locations by PING command. This drastically speed up displaying of thumbnails for offline files from remote locations.

But it seems that the Ping command doesn't work (or works unpredictable) on some NAS devices.

One of the Synology DS212j NAS users claims to the Ping problems with his NAS.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1936930

But any extra feedback from Synology NAS users who expected the similar problem will be helpful before we'll switch off the PING command in the Daminion.

Hi Murat,

I hope the minor release comes out quickly. We had hoped to catalog a lot of photos during the holidays.

Thanks.

Gary

I hope the minor release comes out quickly. We had hoped to catalog a lot of photos during the holidays.

Yep. We almost finished adding the major features, and starting testing a new version soon.

BTW we can create a test version for you to determine whether the issues with offline mark are gone.

But avoid possible version conflict a new version shoudl be used with a new test catalogs only.

Yep. We almost finished adding the major features, and starting testing a new version soon.

BTW we can create a test version for you to determine whether the issues with offline mark are gone.

But avoid possible version conflict a new version shoudl be used with a new test catalogs only.

Murat,

I tried to send a personal message via the forum but it said you could not receive any new messages.

I would be willing to try a test version to see if it cured the missing thumbnail problem. Thanks.

Gary

Murat,

I tried to send a personal message via the forum but it said you could not receive any new messages.

I would be willing to try a test version to see if it cured the missing thumbnail problem. Thanks.

Gary

Hey Gary, just send him an email. his messages are always full, because of all of us.

My inbox was full of message, it's clean now.

I've also sent you a message with a link to the test Daminion Standalone version. Could you please upgrade your Daminion local version, create a new local catalog and try to reproduce an issue with thumbnails.

PLEASE DON'T OPEN YOUR EXISTING LOCAL CATALOGS!

After testing please revert back to the 911 version.

Thanks in advance!

Gary, let's post my answer here. First of all many thanks for the comprehensive testing: the PING command doesn't work with NAS devices in some cases or work unstable, for various reasons: for example NAS firewall might block the ICMP, while files can be available directly. Anyway in the new version the problem with offline thumbnails will be fixed.

Please revert back to the 911 version, until we'll release a stable version. The next week we plan to spend to polishing a new functionality and fixing bugs.

Murat,

Just a little more info for you regarding this problem. My Synology DS1812+ is my "master repository" for about 125,000+ photos and videos. IMHO, I think that Synology is pretty much the "Cadillac" of home & small business NAS servers. Before buying the Synology, I used several other brands including D-Link DNS-323's...which I still use for various purposes.

I did a small test this morning and added files from a DNS-323 to a shared catalog. As is customary, the files remained on the 323 but were added to the catalog. When I reviewed the thumbnails, there were NO broken or missing image symbols for any of the files added from the 323 device. I even closed down and relaunched Daminion to double-check...still no missing or broken image link symbols.

So I think this adds fuel to the idea that it is something related to Synology servers. While my 323's are configured in a RAID setup, the 323's do not provide the extensive multiple redundancies of hard drives in my Synology DS1812+ so I would definitely like to continue using the Synology for media storage & cataloging. I certainly hope you can address this problem with Synology servers.

'Hope this tidbit helps.

Gary