Thumbnails disappearing

Yorkie71

I have started use Daminion to try and get some organisation into my photo collection and up until recently it has been very good. However just recently I have noticed several thumbnails disappearing and being replaced with the broken chain link icon.

Manually regenerating the thumbnail using the Ctrl-B option brings it back but is disappears again. Selecting all and regenerating the thumbnail does not work either. It seems very intermittent.

This is quite a problem now and I'd like to get it resolved. I have tried to recreate the catalogue but this has not worked either.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be.

Thanks

I'm still having this problem and it's causing a bit of a headache now as many of the thumbnails are just appearing as broken link icons.

I can recreate with the Ctrl-B command but it seems very intermittent. Say for example I select a group of 10 thumbnails then select to update, eight might appear and two might not. Run the command again and they all might disappear again.

I'm reluctant to move to another DAM package as this seems to hold a lot of potential but this issue is making me reconsider.

I have thought about what it could be but have come up with nothing. The photos are stored on a NAS which is on a decent connection so I'm sure it's not down to access times. even if that was the case, why would the thumbnails disappear again once created?

I have tried to recreate the catalogue but this has not worked either.

What do you mean when said "...this has not worked"? Did you see any error messages while creating a new catalog or the problem with disappearing thumbnails occurs again?

I have thought about what it could be but have come up with nothing. The photos are stored on a NAS which is on a decent connection so I'm sure it's not down to access times. even if that was the case, why would the thumbnails disappear again once created?

It's quite possible that this is due to the problem with connection with your NAS or because of the NAS drives issue (not sure although).

What Daminion version do you use?

Did you test this issue with local or shared catalog?

If you tested this with a local catalog - is this catalog located on a NAS or on a local folder?

Hi Murat, thanks for the response.

What do you mean when said "...this has not worked"? Did you see any error messages while creating a new catalog or the problem with disappearing thumbnails occurs again?

The broken thumbnail links were shown again.

It's quite possible that this is due to the problem with connection with your NAS or because of the NAS drives issue (not sure although).

Maybe, however I have tried pointing my PSE8 towards the NAS folders and that has no issue with generating and maintaining the thumbnails. Neither does the Windows Explorer too.

What Daminion version do you use?

Daminion Standalone 1.0.0. (build 833)

Did you test this issue with local or shared catalog?

If you tested this with a local catalog - is this catalog located on a NAS or on a local folder?

Local on local folder.

Hope this helps.

I have just run a quick test and copied a folder from the NAS which was showing some thumbnail issues to a local folder. On importing these into a new catalogue all the thumbnails are created fine.

If I clear the catalogue and import the same files from the NAS then some (not all) of the thumbnails are shown as broken links.

So it does seem that the NAS is the problem area although it's odd that some not all files are affected and also that other applications don;t seem to have this problem.

I'm am connected to the NAS via a 100Mbs Ethernet connection, (I'd like a gigabit but my current router won't support), but I run other high bandwidth application from the NAS without issue so I can't see why this would be an issue.

Very odd. I went for Daminion specifically as one of the main features was a network based DAM function.

Regards

Martyn

I have just run a quick test and copied a folder from the NAS which was showing some thumbnail issues to a local folder. On importing these into a new catalogue all the thumbnails are created fine.

We use an optimized algorithm to check whether a network based file is existed or not. We can increase it's time limit that might be a reason of this issue. I'll send you a new build soon.

Could you please try to Ping your NAS device from your computer? To check whether an item is offline of not we Ping a computer where this file is located before.

Thanks for the reply Murat.

We use an optimized algorithm to check whether a network based file is existed or not. We can increase it's time limit that might be a reason of this issue. I'll send you a new build soon.

That sounds like a possible cause. The display of the thumbnails are definitely intermittent. Some of them that don't display will do on the next launch.

Could you please try to Ping your NAS device from your computer? To check whether an item is offline of not we Ping a computer where this file is located before.

Pinging the NAS gives me 0% packet loss and <1ms response, which is as expected as it's sat on top of the PC in question.

Hope that helps. I'll try out the new build when I receive it. Outstanding support btw. Thanks. :good2:

I've discovered (thanks to Uwe's video) the reason of this issue. It appears with images without existing metadata information (EXIF/XMP/IPTC). To resolve an issue:

1. Please update your Daminion to 854 build

2. Open your catalog

3. Click on the "Advanced Search" button and search for all JPEG files with Width = 0:

2013-07-10_174031.gif

4. Select all the found images

5. Launch "Item > Actions > Write Tags to File". This will store all unsaved tags into the images.

6. Launch "Item > Actions > Read Tags to File". This will read the correct image dimension tags from the images.

I've discovered (thanks to Uwe's video) the reason of this issue. It appears with images without existing metadata information (EXIF/XMP/IPTC). To resolve an issue:

1. Please update your Daminion to 854 build

2. Open your catalog

3. Click on the "Advanced Search" button and search for all JPEG files with Width = 0:

post-1-0-86809200-1373463816_thumb.gif

4. Select all the found images

5. Launch "Item > Actions > Write Tags to File". This will store all unsaved tags into the images.

6. Launch "Item > Actions > Read Tags to File". This will read the correct image dimension tags from the images.

Hi Murat,

Thanks for the response. I carried out all the steps to the letter but I'm still seeing the issue with the thumbnails not showing. Another thing I have noticed is that the thumbnails are missing even on freshly imported files.

Quite odd really. I'm certain it's not the response time of the NAS as it gets used for lots of other things that required fast response.

I hope this can get resolved at some point as this is an excellent product.

Regards

Martyn

Hmm... May be the latest code changes were not included into the build...

Do you see the image dimension of the problematic images?

If not - do you see them after invoking the "Read Tags from File" command?

If the above steps didn't help, could you please give us a remote (absolutely safe for you) access to your computer via Teamviewer?

Do you see the image dimension of the problematic images?

I ran the search and it only returned one image to which I applied the steps to mentioned.

If the above steps didn't help, could you please give us a remote (absolutely safe for you) access to your computer via Teamviewer?

Of course. I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem too as the application is the best I have come across. Let's arrange a convenient time.

I ran the search and it only returned one image to which I applied the steps to mentioned.

Of course. I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem too as the application is the best I have come across. Let's arrange a convenient time.

I will be available today from 8am to 2pm (EST). Please drop me a message when you will be ready. And I am in the office now...

• 2 weeks later...

I will be available today from 8am to 2pm (EST). Please drop me a message when you will be ready. And I am in the office now...

Hi Murat, I haven;t forgotten about this, just been busy lately. I have just updated to the latest build and still have the thumbnail issue. Makes it very hard to work with the photos, but as the rest of the application is just so good, I'm sticking with it as I know it will be fixed.

Will catch you online and arrange a hook up soon.

Martyn

• 4 months later...

I'm having this same issue. We started off very well and quickly cataloged about 4,000 photos. All are stored on our NAS device (a DS1812+ Synology Server). Now the broken image link appears for almost all of the images.

I can manually update (CTRL+B) individual photos without problem but if I do more than two at a time, only two thumbnails are regenerated so updating a folder full doesn't work. This had not been a problem.

Odd...must be something with network timing. Everything on my home network is rated for 1GB service including our Internet fiber connection. I'm using Build 911.

We are using a hardwired networked...not wifi.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

The above screen movie shows using CTRL+B to regen thumbnails for individual photos and for four photos (unsuccessful...only two get updated).

We sure need a solution for whatever the problem may be or we won't be buying it...had loved it up to this point. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

We sure need a solution for whatever the problem may be or we won't be buying it...had loved it up to this point. Any suggestions?

Thanks for sharing this info! Does it possible to give me an access to your Can you give me a remote access via TeamViewer to your work computer?

I'm having this same issue. We started off very well and quickly cataloged about 4,000 photos. All are stored on our NAS device (a DS1812+ Synology Server). Now the broken image link appears for almost all of the images.

I can manually update (CTRL+B) individual photos without problem but if I do more than two at a time, only two thumbnails are regenerated so updating a folder full doesn't work. This had not been a problem.

Odd...must be something with network timing. Everything on my home network is rated for 1GB service including our Internet fiber connection. I'm using Build 911.

We are using a hardwired networked...not wifi.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

The above screen movie shows using CTRL+B to regen thumbnails for individual photos and for four photos (unsuccessful...only two get updated).

Thank you!

Hi Gary. I'm glad that it's not just me. This is exactly what I'm seeing. The same as you also, I was loving everything about Daminion until this issue refused to go away. I was about to purchase the full product too.

Unfortunately I have had to stop using it as the lack of thumbnails is not acceptable. I'm using Picasa for the time being, it's OK but not perfect by a long shot.

Had this issue been sorted then Daminion would have ticked all the boxes. I'm also on a Synology NAS, (albeit not as beefy as yours! A DS212j). It hard wired to gigabit ports so server time-outs should not be an issue. It certainly seems to look like that is the problem though. I stream 1080p media from the box so this proves there's plenty of bandwidth.

Hopefully it gets sorted and I can give it another go.

Hi Yorkie71,

Could you please ping your NAS with -f parameter:

ping -f yournasipaddress

and let me know the results of the PING command. Thanks!

Murat,

In the interest of providing you additional information regarding this problem, I ran the ping -f on my server and here are the results:

ping -f 10.0.1.80

Pinging 10.0.1.80 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.1.80: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.1.80:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

'Hope this helps.

Gary

Hi Yorkie71,

Could you please ping your NAS with -f parameter:

ping -f yournasipaddress

and let me know the results of the PING command. Thanks!

Hi Murat here are my ping results. As expected really as the NAS is on a gigabit connection.

Pinging 192.168.1.xxx with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.xxx:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I read the article you referred to but the cause of that drop out seemed to be an account permission issue rather than a network one. Anyhow, I have never experienced dropouts with connection to my NAS so I think that can be eliminated as a cause. In addition, thumbnail generation on other DAM applications works fine.

Hope this helps.