Understanding Metadata Sync and Save

Mardon

I'm confused about how synching of metadata works.

I added some DNG files to my server catalog. I then used the Daminion client to enter some metadata such as Categories, Place data and an Event name. I "Saved" the data and after restarting the Daminion client, it's all there for those DNG files.

However, when I edit one of those DNG files with Photoshopand save that edit as a jpeg, none of that metadata is saved with the jpeg file.

Am I doing something wrong?

Basically I guess that I don't understand "Read Tags from File", "Write tags to File" and "Turn on Auto-Syncing".

Hello,

when you made your tagging for the DNG items and "save" the data, the data are written into the XMP/IPTC/EXIF data - depending on your customizing of the Administration Panel (Write Metadata).

Then you "leave Daminion" and open the DNG photo in Photoshop and save it as JPG file. But Daminion doesn't know this JPG until you import it into the catalog and all tags of this JPG file are in the catalog. The question is: does Photoshop write all tags, written by Daminion into the JPG file? Please compare it (DNG and JPG) with the ExifTool.

"Turn on Autosynch on" means: all changes you made, e.g. add new tags, delete useless tags, change description etc., are automatically written into the catalog AND the file on the disk.

If "Autosynch is off" the changes are written in the Daminion catalog only and NOT into the files on disk (they remain in a database table queue) until you switch "Autosynch on".

"Read Tags from file" is usefull e.g. if you changed the metadata with an external tool and you want to write these metadata now into the Daminion catalog (there are still the "old" metadata).

Regards, Uwe

• Upvote 1

when you made your tagging for the DNG items and "save" the data, the data are written into the XMP/IPTC/EXIF data - depending on your customizing of the Administration Panel (Write Metadata).

Then you "leave Daminion" and open the DNG photo in Photoshop and save it as JPG file. But Daminion doesn't know this JPG until you import it into the catalog and all tags of this JPG file are in the catalog. The question is: does Photoshop write all tags, written by Daminion into the JPG file? Please compare it (DNG and JPG) with the ExifTool.

"Turn on Autosynch on" means: all changes you made, e.g. add new tags, delete useless tags, change description etc., are automatically written into the catalog AND the file on the disk.

If "Autosynch is off" the changes are written in the Daminion catalog only and NOT into the files on disk (they remain in a database table queue) until you switch "Autosynch on".

"Read Tags from file" is usefull e.g. if you changed the metadata with an external tool and you want to write these metadata now into the Daminion catalog (there are still the "old" metadata).

I couldn't say better :good2:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

1. After opening a DNG image by Photoshop you can see all the metadata that was written by Daminion from the Photoshop's main menu: "File > File Info".

2. The latest Photoshop versions allow you to save an image into JPEG format by 2 standard ways:

- File > Save As

- File > Save for Web&Devices.

If you'll go by the second way make sure that you selected the "All" point for the "Metadata" option:

2013-07-03_223228.gif

Thanks to both of you. I am still trying to digest all this and experiment a little. Here's some comments. I was aware of Photoshop not writing metadata when saved for Web. I'm OK with that. I want to use "Read Tags from file" to get Lat/Long data into Daminion that I have manually entered using GeoTag. I am not clear if "Read Tags" will destroy any tags that have previously been entered using Daminion. Comment? Does leaving "AutoSync on" degrade the performance of Daminion for other things? Does Auto Sync apply to only the files actively being worked on or does it affect the entire database?

Thanks again for the very helpful feedback. Mardon

I am not clear if "Read Tags" will destroy any tags that have previously been entered using Daminion. Comment?

Yes. "Read Tags from File" command will replace all the tags in the database (catalog) related to the selected image(s) by metadata file(s).

Does leaving "AutoSync on" degrade the performance of Daminion for other things?

Yes. Because it's affected to updating image metadata inside the files. And we recommend you to switch this option off before large series of tag assignments. And then switch it On again to save all your tags to the image metadata.

However turning On this option will not impact to the program performance if the Auto-Sync queue is empty.

Does Auto Sync apply to only the files actively being worked on or does it affect the entire database?

Auto-Sync applies only for files with changed metadata.