build 831 - dual monitor use

Albert

I've just started using this program and I'm very impressed with it. Exactly the product our company needs.

One immediate suggestion I have is with the view window. All computers here have dual monitors and the program has some unexpected behavior when the main program is in one monitor and an image is in the view window on the second monitor. The scroll wheel works, but the cursor selection for thumbnails doesn't. It also isn't possible to use the catalog tags or windows controls (minimize, exit, menu selection).

The view window has to be closed before the main program window will work again. I would expect that all the main window functions should be available when the view window is open on the second monitor. Right now only the right, left, pgUp, pgDn, ctrl-home, and ctrl-end keys work for thumbnail navigation and modifying or viewing tags isn't possible. I've tested the client software on two computers (both Windows 7 Pro) and both have the same issue.

Feel free to share any further feedback with us here on the forum or by support form.

Thanks,

The number one item on my wishlist is a thumbnail cache (either client based or a common server cache).

Second item would be the ability to add keywords when importing files by parsing the folder path string. This might be possible now but I haven't noticed that option yet. Right now all our photos are located in hundreds of project folders (following a standardized naming convention) and keyword parsing would save a tremendous amount of time when tagging.

The number one item on my wishlist is a thumbnail cache (either client based or a common server cache).

What do you mean by thumbnail cache?

Second item would be the ability to add keywords when importing files by parsing the folder path string. This might be possible now but I haven't noticed that option yet. Right now all our photos are located in hundreds of project folders (following a standardized naming convention) and keyword parsing would save a tremendous amount of time when tagging.

This option can be added soon.

What do you mean by thumbnail cache?

I think I see my problem. I'm in the evaluation process for the software and I have the server running on one computer but the photos are still at their original location on a network share. I didn't select the option to copy the files to a local folder on the server computer. I added another batch of photos (about 3,000) but this time I selected the option to copy to a local folder and this group is much faster for thumbnail viewing.

This brings up another suggestion, when copying the files to the local folder it would be nice to have more flexibility when creating the sub-folder structure. For example, our existing folder structure follows this pattern: \Projects\Client\Site\Project Name\Photos\Date. When moving photos to the daminion server computer, I would like to retain the 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels (and also assign them as keywords). It also would be helpful on the 'choose files to import' window if the example file name matched the current template, or if a image was selected, the new file name, including full path, was shown.

This brings up another suggestion, when copying the files to the local folder it would be nice to have more flexibility when creating the sub-folder structure. For example, our existing folder structure follows this pattern: \Projects\Client\Site\Project Name\Photos\Date. When moving photos to the daminion server computer, I would like to retain the 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels (and also assign them as keywords). It also would be helpful on the 'choose files to import' window if the example file name matched the current template, or if a image was selected, the new file name, including full path, was shown.

Added to the feature list.

BTW does it matter whether Categories will be created from folder names instead of the Keywords? We want to put a simple check box into the Import Window:

"Create Categories from Folder Names"

BTW does it matter whether Categories will be created from folder names instead of the Keywords? We want to put a simple check box into the Import Window:

"Create Categories from Folder Names"

Folder path name would be my preference because the program could be pointed at a top level folder and run unattended. Any new categories would be picked up automatically.

I have one external monitor attached to my laptop. even when I moved the Daminion WIndow to the second (bigger screen) and open a picture, the picture will be displayed on the local internal monitor.

Hi Rene, I have 3 displays and I actually like the way that the Daminion client can be seen on one display while at the same time a full screen view of a selected image is seen on another display. Maybe the Daminion developers can provide what you need without removing what I like. :)

I've just started using this program and I'm very impressed with it. Exactly the product our company needs.

One immediate suggestion I have is with the view window. All computers here have dual monitors and the program has some unexpected behavior when the main program is in one monitor and an image is in the view window on the second monitor. The scroll wheel works, but the cursor selection for thumbnails doesn't. It also isn't possible to use the catalog tags or windows controls (minimize, exit, menu selection).

The view window has to be closed before the main program window will work again. I would expect that all the main window functions should be available when the view window is open on the second monitor. Right now only the right, left, pgUp, pgDn, ctrl-home, and ctrl-end keys work for thumbnail navigation and modifying or viewing tags isn't possible. I've tested the client software on two computers (both Windows 7 Pro) and both have the same issue.

I use 3 displays and tested this issue with Build 833. I agree with all of your comments.

Could you please check this issue with 838 build.

I just checked (with build 839) and now when I double-click on a thumbnail the program opens the image in the same window as main program (full screen). I can't see a way to move the image to the second monitor so I'm not able to test the other functions. Is there a way to control where the window opens or to move it once it's open?