Tray

Murat

Tray is acted like a lightbox where you can collect images before applying them a certain action (export, print, process with external applications, etc...). You can go through a range of various tags and collect some images for your presentation by adding them to tray using the Ins key.

At the early Daminion versions the "Flag" tag wasn't available and was used to preliminary selection of photos. But later we've added the "Flag" tag that in more cases cover the Tray capabilities.

Differences between the Tray and the "Flag" tag usages:

Tray:

• You can visually see the thumbnails of all items in the Tray
  • You can apply an action to all items in the Tray without breaking
  • your current view and query condition.
  • Content of your tray is not visible for other users

Flags:

• Flagged and Rejected criteria of items are saved inside the catalog
  • (database) and can be seen after re-opening the catalog
  • Other users will see your flags
  • You can use Flag in conjunction with other tags while building
  • search queries. For example: find all items
    • from the "Architecture > Building > Museums" category
    • with "Rating higher than 3"
    • and Flagged

But later we've added the "Flag" tag that in more cases cover the Tray capabilities.

Yep in most of the cases Flag cover Tray capabilities except the Tray windows possibilities : display your selection like a light box.

I intended to use Tray window as a light box but some features are missing :

- Still remaining bug : Sliding size bar is not visible with "small" Tray window height.

- When you send a thumbnail to Tray window, you can't see visually which thumbnail has been send to Tray window. This is confusing when you have pictures/thumbnail with nearly same content.

- When browsing thumbnail in main view, corresponding Tray thumbnail should be highlighted. This will show better correspondance between both thumbnails windows.

- When browsing thumbnail from Tray window, corresponding thumbnail in main view should be hightlighted.

Tray mode is interesting but some features are missing.

Flag mode is interesting but some features are missing. (No tray window while browsing thumbnails.)

May be Tray mode should work as a real slide light box. (as you could do it 20 years ago before digital camera)

When you put a slide into your selection (in a corner of your light box), this slide was physically not anymore available in your main board.

Anyway, I manage with Color Label when I need to make a selection.

Hello,

I would not describe the differences between Tray and Flag here. Also no comments about the history. When I would like to know "What is the Tray good for?" I expect a explanation of the Tray capabilities.

The same with the "Flag".

At the end of the articles "Flag" and "Tray" in the Knowledgebase I would like to have a link to another entry in the Knowledgebase. There can be a detailed explanation of "how to use Frag and Tray together in a workflow".

I agree with kalain. When the Tray should work as a light box then you can't have the item in the Thumbnail and the Tray.

When Daminion decides to keep the item in both Windows, Thumbnail and Tray, then it needs a "link" between the items not to lose the overview.

Regards, Uwe

• 7 months later...

When Daminion decides to keep the item in both Windows, Thumbnail and Tray, then it needs a "link" between the items not to lose the overview.

This is now implemented in 952 build (or may be before), absolutely great but there is still some work to do here to have this feature really usable.

1/ Full view from tray thumbnail should be editable. (There is a post somewhere about this in the forum)

By now, you can't add keyword, people, ...

2/ Thumbnail tray size slider should be visible even if tray height window is less than 200 pixels.

3/ From thumbnail tray, when a thumbnail is selected it hould also has a feature like : "Focus on it", which will select and display this thumbnail in main thumbnail view.

Regards

• Upvote 1