Organising files to optimise catalogue loading speed

dannahaz

Hello again

I've now transferred and sorted out about 8000 photos, and I'm really liking using the system.

Currently all my photos live in the same folder, and are all in the same catalogue.

I've noticed that the more photos I have, the longer the catalogue takes to load, It's not a problem, but I'm sure I can improve things if I organise things a bit differently.

I have some photos, various family weddings for example, that I don't need to access very often. I was thinking I could separate these from the rest of my photos.

My question is, which is the best arrangement of the following:

1) leave everything as it is. All the photos in one folder. All the photos indexed in one catalogue.

2) Leave the photos in one folder. Take the Wedding photos out of the main catalogue into a separate Weddings catalogue.

3) Move the wedding photos into their own folder. Leave the indexing in the main catalogue.

4) Move the wedding photos into their own folder. Take the Wedding photos out of the main catalogue into a separate Weddings catalogue.

5) something else

Thanks for your help, I look forward to hearing from you

Hazel

Hi dannahaz,

I would prefer version 4. Because Daminion reads all items of the SQLite DB. And one DB is one local catalog. From my point of view to move the wedding files in their own folder is useful to get a better structure in the Windows file system on the disc apart from Daminion. But I don't expect an impact on performance from this stuctured file/folder layout.

Regards, Uwe

Hi dannahaz,

I would prefer version 4.

Regards, Uwe

Thanks Uwe.

As I have to re-synch everything (following your helpful solution to my metadata query, thank you), I'll wiat until tomorrow before I start chopping my catalogue and folders up.

This means that if anyone has any alternative views, it would be helpful to know before I start doing it ;-)

Thanks

Hazel

Hazel, you can add portability to your Wedding photos (and other group of photos) by moving them out into a separate folder. Thanks for supporting relative paths you can copy your Weddings folder (where the wedding photos and the wedding.dmc catalog are located) to another computer or location effortlessly.

The drawback of separating Wedding from other photos - you can't find, lets say, all your 2-star photos in all your catalogs. You need to look in each catalog separately.

Anyway, we offered you an approach to divide your photo collection into several parts, and further deciding is depended from your needs.

Thanks Murat, that's helpful.

I think I will separate them off. Wedding albums especially are where I don't think I'd particularly need to search, and I wouldn't necessarily want those photos coming up in other searches. For example, when I am looking for photos of my husband, I very rarely want a pic of him at someone's wedding. If I was, I'd be narrowing the search to whatever wedding anyway.

Thanks again for your help, and for Uwe's help earlier.

Hazel