Tag Presets questions

Mammut

Hi,

someone who have experience with them, can give me some advice on tag presets?

I never used one. Which are the best presets in the long run, some example?

I guess too many tags could cause trouble later, but it doesn't make too much sense to use only a few tags, or am I wrong? Or is it a good technique to create one powerful preset, and later change only some tags in it, to use it on similar themes?

Thank you,

mammut

Hi Mammut,

I guess there is no general advise. E.g., if you made a phototrip in the zoo of a certain town to take pictures from elephants: I would predefine the localisation tags, the structure of keywords and the title and description tags. Then of course your personal data in the IPTC section.

E.g., every year you go hiking in the same area of the Alpes. Then a preset with the "basic" tags is useful.

Do you go to take photos from sport events, maybe to document the saison of your favourite Team then you would have more Sport oriented keywords.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

of course, everyone have their own tags, and I'll sure learn the presets in time. I'm just curious about the techniques.

The personal data in the iptc section is a good idea, thanks.

And I think I can use presets to simulate tag relations, of course, it's just a temporary solution, there'll be too much presets that way (but there will be too much presets anyway, knowing myself :D).

Regards,

mammut

And I think I can use presets to simulate tag relations, of course, it's just a temporary solution, there'll be too much presets that way (but there will be too much presets anyway, knowing myself :D).

It will be better to wait for a native solution for tag relations :)

Hi Mammut,

you can use it for other catalogs.

E.g. my shared catalog is opened. I've entered some values in the Tag Preset Window for some tags, e.g. author, title and assigned them to an item in the shared catalog. Then I opened additionally a local catalog and I can assign the same Tag Presets to an item in the local catalog.

If you close all catalogs and open one catalog again you get the presets that you had entered and used before.

From my point of view you don't have to export the Tag Presets because they are globally defined and not related to a certain catalog. But you need an open catalog to define the Tag Presets. You can't open the Tag Preset Window without to open a catalog. The Tag Presets are saved in (Win7 System): c:\Users\~your_Win7_User~\AppData\Roaming\Daminion Software\Daminion\1.0\MetadataPresets.xml

Regards, Uwe

Hmm. Okay, I was wrong, sorry. I deleted all of my settings the other day, because there was some bug with the Properties tab when I closed it, there remained a gray area.

And I thought that I don't see my test presets because I defined them in another catalog. Ehh, I hate this that I have 20 catalogs, I never know which one I used and when. :D

Regards,

mammut