679 how to avoid duplicates jpegs

ybo117

Hello all,

Is there a way/option to avoid duplicates when adding jpeg images (with copy option) to a catalog ?

I don't want to use the 'delete source file after successful transfer' option.

In fact, when some information has been added in Daminion to a jpeg image (keyword, title, ...), on the next 'add files' from the SD card, the image is re-imported a second time with name(2).ext.

I know that the 2 files are not exactly the same, but for me it is the same image.

The first imported has more metadata as the second.

Best regards,

Yves

Hello Yves,

as far as I can remember me we had a discussion about duplicate items here in the forum. The initial request was to import files taken at the same moment (second). The speed of the SLR cameras produce multiple files in the same second. In an older release of Daminion only one file was imported and the other were lost. The current Situation is the result of the discussion and works now as requested.

How can you avoid the problem? I suggest: Make a backup of the SD Card if this is your preferred strategy, import the files into Daminion and tag them, make a backup of the catalog and delete the files from the SD Card.

Regards, Uwe

Yves, your goal is clear. And Uwe suggested a workable solution.

If a copying file is existed in the destination folder, Daminion compares files by the hole file content. And it doesn't matter what media format we are copying now.

To resolve your issue we need to compare files by it's image part (and ignore the metadata block). And the problem here: there are a lot of different media formats, and we need to write an image part extractor for a lot of formats, and that can be time consuming task now.

Hello Uwe and Murat,

I have found and read the previous conversation about duplicates and I understand your motivation.

A simple way to preserve the current logic and solve the problem for files where the metadata are modified in the file himself like 'jpg' or 'dng' files could be:

. add an option 'forbid duplicates' in the 'import screen' (like 'delete source files after transfer')

. if this option is selected, test for filename clash:

. if filename clash: dot not copy/add

. else use the current logic

. else use the current logic

This very simple and should not use many resources. There is no need for complex programming like for an image part extractor.

Regards,

Yves