Daminion Localization - German

Uwe

Hello,

I spent some time to translate the texts to German. I've ignored the "& signs" for the short cuts.

There are some problems regarding the mixed usage of "file" and "item". My point of view is: if we talk about objects in the catalog we should use "item/Element" and "file/Datei" for objects out of the catalog (to be imported etc). I prefer "asset" for objekts in the catalog but I don't know if this is protected by Canto Cumulus. Daminion please check this.

An other topic is: what is the right translation for e.g.: "Open catalog". Is it "Katalog öffnen" or "Öffnen Katalog". Is it used in the menu, in a button etc?

There are a lot of English words which are used in the German IT and no one uses a German translation. I tried to translate as much as possible (for me) into German but sometimes it sounds strange. May be we can reduce it and take the English word which is already used in German, e.g. "Check out" is not translated.

I had some problems with "remove" and "delete". The translation is not the problem but when do we use "remove"? A item is removed from the catalog but a file is deleted from the disk? May be there have to be some adjustments in the translation or in the English source texts.

There are some translations in the file I'm not sure (yellow background color) and errors of course.

There are translations that may be doesn't make sense but I didn't know the content of the text.

I would like to have a German Daminion version as soon as possible to see where the text is used and to change it if necessary.

Please feel free to adjust the document, upload the changed document and use a new version number to make it unique.

Regards, Uwe

PS I don't have a permission to upload xls files to the forum. Please change the extesion txt to xls when you want to use the file!!!

Daminion_Localization_German_V000.txt

Uwe, thanks a lot for your contribution :good:

We can create a special build so you can check how your translation works. But because a new build wasn't tested yet and there are some unfinished tasks, you should to launch it on a second test computer and use it with test catalogs and images only. Do you have a second PC for testing?

I spent some time to translate the texts to German. I've ignored the "& signs" for the short cuts.

There are some problems regarding the mixed usage of "file" and "item". My point of view is: if we talk about objects in the catalog we should use "item/Element" and "file/Datei" for objects out of the catalog (to be imported etc). I prefer "asset" for objekts in the catalog but I don't know if this is protected by Canto Cumulus. Daminion please check this.

I guess Objects, Items, Assets, Elements - are synonims, and there might be some local culture specific preferences. I doubt that your case - use it.

An other topic is: what is the right translation for e.g.: "Open catalog". Is it "Katalog öffnen" or "Öffnen Katalog". Is it used in the menu, in a button etc?

This is a menu item: File > Open Catalog. I can't suggest you which one is better because I don't speak German.

There are a lot of English words which are used in the German IT and no one uses a German translation. I tried to translate as much as possible (for me) into German but sometimes it sounds strange. May be we can reduce it and take the English word which is already used in German, e.g. "Check out" is not translated.

The best way to determine translations of version control termins like, Check In/Out, is to check the German version of the Microsoft Sharepoint. Or ask from German Sharepoint users.

I had some problems with "remove" and "delete". The translation is not the problem but when do we use "remove"? A item is removed from the catalog but a file is deleted from the disk? May be there have to be some adjustments in the translation or in the English source texts.

You are right, we use "Delete" when talking about deleting a file physically from the disk (or moving it to a recycled bin)

I'll send you a new build and an updates xls files to your email account.

Hello forum

just a short information: I got a first German Daminion version (local client), made a first short review and some adjustments in the translations, error correction etc. It looks good and may be we will have a German version with the next official beta build.

Regards, Uwe

• 2 weeks later...