Rescan folders F6

_noel_

When I do a "Rescan folders ..." from the Catalog menu or from the context menu of a folder, which images are rescaned? All images in the database? or only the images which can be seen as thumbs?

Are all images "re-read" or only images with modified timestamps ?

... I'm doubtful, I don't want to scramble my database ...

When I do a "Rescan folders ..." from the Catalog menu or from the context menu of a folder, which images are rescaned? All images in the database? or only the images which can be seen as thumbs?

Are all images "re-read" or only images with modified timestamps ?

... I'm doubtful, I don't want to scramble my database ...

Sorry in advance for delays with answers - I'll be on a vacation till 17 sept. Other guys are focused with development but I'll watch the forum periodically.

Rescan Folders will scan for files in all the sub-folders within a selected folder in the Catalog Tags panel. Only images with modified timestamps will be added or updated.

Rescan Folders will scan for files in all the sub-folders within a selected folder in the Catalog Tags panel. Only images with modified timestamps will be added or updated.

When I do a "Recscan Folders..." for a folder with subfolders (about 6500 images) the rescan lasts about 30 minutes on my machine (mainly Nikon NEFs).

If I do a "Rescan Folders..." immediately again after the first one is finished (no image changed!) it lasts again about 30 minutes .... ???

I have all checkboxes checked in the "Rescan Folders..." dialog (Add new files, Remove missing files, Update Catalog Tags, Update Catalog Tags for Modified Files) but it takes again about 30 minutes ... something seems to be wrong with the timestamp check ...

Hello,

I've checked this with shared catalog and files on NAS: 6400 files (DNG and some JPG, TIF and PSD). In this case server and client are on the same PC.

1. scan 2h 20min

2. new scan without any changes 1h 25min

Regards, Uwe

I think, a rescan on images, which have not been changed, should be done within much less time, because only timestamps must be checked ...

Regards

Eberhard

I agree but that means you have to update the time stamp in any case you change someting. There are some external programms (e.g. Tag&Rename) that don't change the time stamp (as an option). In this case Daminion doesn't have a chance to be up to date.

Regards, Uwe

I agree but that means you have to update the time stamp in any case you change someting. There are some external programms (e.g. Tag&Rename) that don't change the time stamp (as an option). In this case Daminion doesn't have a chance to be up to date.

Regards, Uwe

This is quite clear - if a tool outside daminion changes the files and does not update the timestamps ... this is not so fine IMHO, even under the aspect of backup etc.

In my case in the 4th entry of this thread I didn't do anything with the images.

Regards

Eberhard