Upgrade

rtrainer

Rob, I can suggest you two approaches:

- Switch on the "Sync Tags with Metadata" option (on the right corner of the toolbar).

- Wait till all you tags will be saved into your file metadata.

- Then import the root folder with your media files into Daminion Server (open a shared catalog, then press "Add Files", and select the root folder with your images or just drag it to Daminion Client)

This method is fast but will not works for some media formats that don't support metadata writing, like BMP, DWG.

You can also use "Item > Move To" option, but it's slower than the first method.

- You need select files on the first page.

- Then right click and navigate to "Move to > SHARED CATALOG..." option.

- All files will be UPLOADED to your Daminion Server. Then proceed with the next page.

I suggest you to try the first way:

- It's faster.

- You can import files on shared locations without uploading them to a PC with Daminion Server.

- Make sure that you selected options to write Tags into Camera RAW and Video formats (if you need this) in the program Preferences.

- Some formats like BMP, that doesn't support embedding metadata will be imported without tags. For these formats you can use the second way.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I have a short question there.

I have a local Database, on my Laptop with me here in China. When I'm back home I want these Pictures to be on our Server Database.

I write the Tags in the EXIF-Data itself.

Is it enough, when I just copy the whole folder to the Server HDDs click on "add files"? Or Rescan Folder?

René!

Is it enough, when I just copy the whole folder to the Server HDDs click on "add files"? Or Rescan Folder?

To import new photos by "Rescan Folder..." option you need to copy your photos from your laptop to the server computer manually. And you need to place them into a folder that was already imported into the Daminion Server. Now you can invoke "Rescan Folders..." for one of the parent folders of these new files and they will be imported into the Daminion Server.

This process can be easier by using the "Add Files..." option. Cause Daminion will upload your files to the Server automatically, rename them and then import then.

And yes, you need to write tags into metadata before starting the import...