Some problems and requests

Mammut

Problems:

- The Place is remaining unselected on the Properties tab when I select more files, even if it's the same location at all files. It only shows the Place when I select 1 file.

- When I select more files the Properties tab displays the union of the other tags, but the Event's value will be the first file's Event value.

- This error only happened when I imported other files to the catalog, so the program was slower because of it.

When I'm selecting like 1000 files to assign a tag to them, it says "Preparing..." (it's waiting for the refresh of the Properties tab as I see) and sometimes it's never assigning the tags. I guess it's a timeout error maybe?

If I select the 1000 files and first wait for the refresh of the Properties tab, and I try the assign after that, it's always working properly, it assigns the tag to the files.

- By the way, the program sometimes shuts down with a .NET Framework error when I'm working with images while I'm importing some other images.

- I deleted a lot of images from the catalog, and now sometimes the program is starting with an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error.

- When I select more images with the Shift key, and delete them from the catalog, the scroll position and the actual selected image is remaining at the same spot, but the images are shifting up, so I have to scroll up again. It would be better, if the active image would be the first remaining image after the delete.

Requests:

- Fit width and fit height hot keys in full screen viewer mode.

- Sometimes I need the Headline iptc metadata, but it's not on the Properties tab.

- It'd be useful if we can delete a folder from the Catalog. If we have to organize some temporary folders, we don't need them after the work is done.

- There is not a big chance but I ask it anyway. Will be possible to view two images at once in a future version? When I'm viewing magazine or comic pages, it would be useful to see 2 pages at once if I need it. It's like the "Compare items" feature without the bar at the top and the black line between the images. Maybe when there'll be an internal viewer for the pdf files. :) It would be better than acrobat because it puts a dividing line between the pages and I hate it. :D

Thanks and regards,

mammut

I would like to have a "Delete folder from catalog" function too. There are some folders in the catalog I used temporary and I would like to delete these folders and its content. But they have to remain on the disk.

Regards, Uwe

I think that the whole file and folder management part needs some work.

Now I have to do this:

- import the files into Daminion from a temporary folder, assign tags, metadatas, etc.

- delete the files from the catalog

- in acdsee rename the files and move them to their correct folders based on the metadatas

- delete the empty temporary folder (not always but often)

- import the files again into Daminion

- (I would delete the temporary folder from Daminion)

It would be great if I could do all this only in Daminion.

Regards,

mammut

Hi Mammut,

why do you delete the files from catalog after tag assignment?

Why don't you rename the files during the Daminion import using your own rule?

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

I can't find how I can add renaming rules at import but I'm renaming them to specific names based on the people or place or other things on the images, so I can't create a common rule to that, and with 2-3000 files it's more comfortable to batch rename them while I'm filtering them with tags in acdsee. And if there was an error at 1-2 files (bad tagging, exceptions, etc.) I can correct those names easily after the batch renaming, but in Daminion I can't.

So I delete them from the catalog because I rename and move them to another places in an other program, and I don't want errors. :)

Regards,

mammut

Hi Mammut,

can you give an example for the renaming? I use the Rename together with the Import (YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.ext). All the other specific information are in the tags and not in the name of my files. I asked Murat for a "Rename Function" for items in the catalog together with a drag and drop to other folders function.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

I like it when my filenames are expressive because I often copy files in Total Commander and there are no tags at all.

In example: "Usain Bolt at the London 2012 Olympic Games 001.jpg" in the "Sport/Olympics/London 2012/Day 15/Track and Field" directory.

It has Event "Olympic Games|London 2012|Day 15|Track and Field|Men's 4x100m Relay final" and People "Athletes|Sprinters|Usain Bolt", but I will change the People to something else later, because what if a person's going to be an, I don't know, let's say, an actor later? Ehh! Okay, I could set it to "U|Usain Bolt|sprinter" and "U|Usain Bolt|actor" later, but it'll be ugly on the Properties tab (the only "sprinter" label at People), and anyway, there will be too many people in U.

Okay, I could create a rule to it: people_name+" at the "+main_event_name or something, but here are another examples: "Holiday at Lake Balaton (2004) 001.jpg" or "BMW ad from Autocar Magazine (July 2012).jpg". :)

Regards,

mammut

edit: Oh, I found the Rename files, I didn't see it because I never used Customize. I want the files to remain at their original location when I'm importing them. I have organized folder structure on my HDDs. But I couldn't use it anyway.

Ok, I understand. These are specific names for the files. Maybe you can skip the first two steps in your workflow. Rename the files in ACDSee and move them to the folder hierarchy in the Daminion catalog (by Total Commander). Depending on your hierarchy there, you select now the highest folder of the hierachy with the new files and use "Rescan Folder" in Daminion. This imports all new files of the selected hierarchy.

Regards, Uwe

"Maybe you can skip the first two steps in your workflow."

The first is a very importand step, I often have "dump" folders with thousands of files with filenames like "gd0454edefwe121s.jpg". Often they have no metadata at all (or they have only single keywords so it's a chaos). I have to tag them first correctly if I want to rename them. :)

Regards,

mammut

Ok, what happens when your temporary folder is part of the daminion catalog?

1. You move the files that have to be imported to this temporary folder by Total Commander or other utility.

2. use "Rescan Folder" for this temporary folder, the items are in the catalog

3. assign the metadata

4. rename the files by ADCSee

5. move the files from the temporary folder to the final destination in the Daminion Catalog by Total Commander

6. Rescan the new folder hierarchy

You don't need to delete the files from catalog (your step 2) because the next rescan of your temporary folder synchronizes the catalog content and the folder content. The copy function outside Daminion and then using the "Rescan Folder" function is much faster in my environment.

Regards, Uwe

I created a test directory with 40 files. I imported it, tagged the files, renamed them in acdsee, moved the files to another directory, then tried the Rescan folder function on the temp folder, and it was like 3 minutes to scan and delete the 40 files from the catalog. And I still have to import the new folder (which I don't because these are just test files, but it would be another 3 minutes or so). I can delete the files from the catalog in 2 seconds. So this is way slower for me.

And it only worked when the temporary folder were still exist. When I try it after I deleted the temporary folder, the old files are remaining in the catalog, and when I want to see them in full screen, it says that "File is missing". And it didn't say that the folder is not exist anymore. So if I forget and delete it, there will be a lot of errors in the catalog.

Regards,

mammut

edit: Okay, I tried it if I'm creating the new folder in the temporary folder, and Rescan folder and it was 3 minutes to delete the files AND import the new files. It's better.

But I usually have to create new folders on other drives which are not in the catalog yet, so I have to import them anyway.

I created a test directory with 40 files. I imported it, tagged the files, renamed them in acdsee, moved the files to another directory, then tried the Rescan folder function on the temp folder, and it was like 3 minutes to scan and delete the 40 files from the catalog. And I still have to import the new folder (which I don't because these are just test files, but it would be another 3 minutes or so). I can delete the files from the catalog in 2 seconds. So this is way slower for me.

And it only worked when the temporary folder were still exist. When I try it after I deleted the temporary folder, the old files are remaining in the catalog, and when I want to see them in full screen, it says that "File is missing". And it didn't say that the folder is not exist anymore. So if I forget and delete it, there will be a lot of errors in the catalog.

Regards,

mammut

edit: Okay, I tried it if I'm creating the new folder in the temporary folder, and Rescan folder and it was 3 minutes to delete the files AND import the new files. It's better.

But I usually have to create new folders on other drives which are not in the catalog yet, so I have to import them anyway.

ok, the import speed is an open issue for the developers and we hope to get an improvment with a next major version from Daminon

- Sometimes I need the Headline iptc metadata, but it's not on the Properties tab.

As I see it, Daminion is using the Title and Headline metadata, too, when it's reading the tags from the file.

A: If the image has a value at the Title metadata, than Daminion is using that value on the Properties tab, and update that metadata if I write the tags.

B: There is no value in the file at the Title metadata, and there is no value at the Headline -> there'll be no value at the Title on the Properties tab.

C: The image hasn't any value at Title, but there is a value at Headline.

Daminion is using the value of the image's Headline metadata as the Title on the Properties tab!

If I edit the Title and write the tags into the file, the Title metadata will be updated, the Headline is remaining the same.

It's a little confusing.

But anyway, I'd like to edit the Title and the Headline metadata both, they're not the same.

Thanks and Regards,

mammut

Hi Mammut,

Thanks for the information about bugs (in your first post) - we fixed a few issues related to Properties panel you reported above.

You are right that IPTC Headline is not the same as Title. So a picture content can be described by Brief Title, Long Headline and Detailed Description.

But we try to keep a limited set of tags in Daminion to simplify the classification task. And thus we map IPTC Headline into Daminion Title Tag.

Daminion Title tag is mapped into the following metadata fields

XMP DC:Title

IPTC Headline

IPTC ObjectName

EXIF XP Title

Daminion Description tag is mapped to:

XMP DC:Description

IPTC Caption

EXIF Image Description

EXIF User Comment

Hi Murat,

thanks for the answer.

But we try to keep a limited set of tags in Daminion to simplify the classification task.

Is there a possibility to put all the other metadata tags into the Customize window, so if we need one or two of them we can use them in Daminion, too?

Now I have to edit the other metadatas in an other tool, and it's not the best solution.

In example, your "Preserve file modified date when updating metadata" option in the Preferences is useless, because the other tool will change the date. And as I said earlier, I don't want to know when I edited a tag, I want to know when I edited the image in Photoshop, so I was very happy when I saw that option in the Preferences of Daminion.

Regards,

mammut

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I know it. But my main problem is not with the import. :)

It would be great to use only Daminion for the file management, too. That's all. :)

The very good DAM-Software IDimager (with a great file management inside) reached the "end of life" by Hert. Instead of IDimager V5 there is now IDimager Photo Supreme. The comparison between both softaresolutions shows for me, that there is now a need for a new DAM-Solution. I hope the file management and a lot of other stuff will be found in daminion soon.

A least:

• Label Set
  • Virtual Collections
  • File manager (create new, delete, rename...)
  • Drag and Drop from and to other applications (for example quarkxpress)

Hi Menace,

I tried IDImager trial in May. There were a lot of bugs so it's a shame that they don't fix them. I'm happy that I didn't buy IDImager after the trial period.

I tried Photo Supreme yesterday evening, and it's like an "IDImager Lite". I didn't saw any bugs, but I tried it with just a couple of files. (I remember that a lot of bugs came in IDImager when I imported a lot of files.)

I never used Label Sets, but I know that they could be useful when there are a lot of similar themes on the images.

I can't remember, the Virtual Collections were those fast collection tabs on the bottom of IDImager? There are Collections and a Tray now in Daminion. Maybe there could be more temporary collections, yeah, I could work faster. But of course I can create temporary collections in the Collections, too. :) I think that the file management is more important for me now, it's really a time issue when I have to use another program every time and rescan, etc.

Regards,

mammut

Edited by Mammut

Hi mammut,

I tried Photo Supreme yesterday evening, and it's like an "IDImager Lite". I didn't saw any bugs, but I tried it with just a couple of files. (I remember that a lot of bugs came in IDImager when I imported a lot of files.)

Looks good, but for me it is to lite. At least it has label sets.

I never used Label Sets, but I know that they could be useful when there are a lot of similar themes on the images.

It increase my workflow a lot. Most timekeeping stuff.

I can't remember, the Virtual Collections were those fast collection tabs on the bottom of IDImager? There are Collections and a Tray now in Daminion. Maybe there could be more temporary collections, yeah, I could work faster. But of course I can create temporary collections in the Collections, too. :) I think that the file management is more important for me now, it's really a time issue when I have to use another program every time and rescan, etc.

The virtual collections are less for me than for other former IDimager-users. I just need the other 3 points.

Edit: My personal wishlist:

[_] smart file management (without the need of rescan)

[_] label sets

[X] drag & drop (works fine, now)