Error starting Daminion Server 9

Frank

Please note I already have Postgres installed on the PC. 

The Admin Tool crashes if the postgres server is already running when I try to use Administration -> Start Daminon Server.  One of those glorious .Net crash windows.

If I stop Postgres then do Administration -> Start Daminon Server, I get the below output.

1. Check License
-----------------------------------
2. Trying to start Daminion Server... SYSTEM
3. Request an additional time...
4. Error Connection to PostgreSQL: Cannot found running PostgreSQL  at 04/22/2024 16:11:03
5. InitializeException of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
   at Service.WCF.ServerService.DaminionService.Initialize(ServiceBase service, EventLog eventlog, String serviceName, String configPath, Boolean consoleMode) in C:\Daminion\code\ServerSideComponents\Service.WCF.ServerService\DaminionService.cs:line 923
   at Service.Management.DaminionManagementService.OnStart(String[] args) in C:\Daminion\code\ServerSideComponents\Service.Management\DaminionManagementService.cs:line 2062
6. Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
   at Service.Management.DaminionManagementService.OnStart(String[] args) in C:\Daminion\code\ServerSideComponents\Service.Management\DaminionManagementService.cs:line 2067
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

... and the trial has started.  Time is ticking to get this fixed so I can complete the trial.

Hi Frank, 

Please let me know what PostgreSQL version is installed on your PC? 

Daminion v 9 only works with PostgreSQL 12. Please download it from here: https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

If you've got a higher version running, the default port 5432 is most likely already taken, When installing v 12, please pay attention to what port is being used to run it, perhaps it will be 5433 be default. 

Once PostgreSQL 12 is installed, please open catalogs.config as administrator:  located in C:\Program Files\Daminion Software\Daminion Server" is the default path or a custom Daminion server installation directory.

<Catalog catalogName="NetCatalog" webUserCreatorId="" fileShareUser=""
            disableVideoPreview="false" databasePort="5432" transportPort="8082"
            restApiPort="0" fileTransportPort="8084" databaseUser="postgres"
            databasePassword="postgres" ignoringACForSharedCollections="false" />

update the parameter databasePort and databasePassword if you used the non-default value here. 

Save changes and try to start Daminion server. 

Let me know if it helps. 

Kind regards, 

Daria