Daminion for a single home user

Davide

Hi all,

First post here. I'm trying to get some info before I take a decision.

Is the standalone/home version still mantained?

I'm asking because months ago I read a lot of docs on the website and now it disappeared and everything on the website refers to the client/server version. Where I find full docs and tips on the standalone version?

Morevoer i was sure I had seen pricing but now from the homepage disappeared but if I search via Google i can find a webpage apparently not linked to the home with prices for first time user and updates:

https://daminion.net/buy-daminion-2/

Are those products and prices still valid? I would not buy a product that is nearly EOL.

I'm a filmmaker and I'm looking for a DAM to catalog my personal video clip archive (about 5K files x total 6TB) stored on a local NAS.

Thanks

Davide, independent of any official response by the Daminion team, I highly recommend to use the home server, even if you have only a single computer.  It scales much better for big number of media items, some functions are missing in the standalone client and Daminion keeps saying they don't want to push standalone anymore, even though they continue to fix important issues (as I understand it).

3 hours ago, WilfriedB said:

Davide, independent of any official response by the Daminion team, I highly recommend to use the home server, even if you have only a single computer.  It scales much better for big number of media items, some functions are missing in the standalone client and Daminion keeps saying they don't want to push standalone anymore, even though they continue to fix important issues (as I understand it).

Thanks Wilfried, got it!

This probably means I have to use a dedicated pc to act as server?

I have to study the documentation.

1 hour ago, Davide said:

I have to use a dedicated pc

No, you don't Davide. You can run the server task on the same PC as the client (as I do since several years). It sounds strange, but it gives you a performance boost, since  access to the database, user interface and other maintenance activities are separate tasks, which can run simultaneously, if the PC has more than one processor kernel. In addition the sever uses PostgreSQL, which is better scalable than SQLite used by the standalone client.

Regarding the future support of the standalone version have a look here:

@WilfriedB @Uwe Thank you all!

I'm reading the documentation. Basically I would get B scheme:

https://daminion.net/docs/scheme-b-documents-and-daminion-server-are-located-on-the-same-computer/

And client too would be on the same machine. 

Given that I use this machine for video editing I think I would shut off Daminion server processes when not in use.

Bye

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davide said:

I would shut off Daminion server processes when not in use.

Doesn't hurt, but I don't think the server consumes resources when no client is connected. Vice versa it can be nasty, if you start the client, but forgot to start the server or the server is not ready yet.

• Like 1