Folder Moves

rau

I'm unclear on how to properly go about moving around folders in Daminion.    I understand folder manipulations are better done in Daminion than in Windows Filer Explorer.   Could you give me a few hints or point me to documentation?    I'd also like to understand what "Rescan" and "Relink" folders actually do and when they are required.

l also have a specific problem.  I have a folder "Birthdays" and under that a set of folders for specific birthdays eg. "Daria age 10", "Daria age 11".    Now I have another folder "Nick aged 14" which accidentally sits at the same level in the hierarchy as "Birthdays".   If I simply drag it to "Birthdays" (with the intention that it become a folder within "Birthdays") I get the error:   "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".    What does this mean, why does this happen and what do I do about it?

thanks

8 hours ago, rau said:

I'm unclear on how to properly go about moving around folders in Daminion.    I understand folder manipulations are better done in Daminion than in Windows Filer Explorer.   Could you give me a few hints or point me to documentation?    I'd also like to understand what "Rescan" and "Relink" folders actually do and when they are required.

l also have a specific problem.  I have a folder "Birthdays" and under that a set of folders for specific birthdays eg. "Daria age 10", "Daria age 11".    Now I have another folder "Nick aged 14" which accidentally sits at the same level in the hierarchy as "Birthdays".   If I simply drag it to "Birthdays" (with the intention that it become a folder within "Birthdays") I get the error:   "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".    What does this mean, why does this happen and what do I do about it?

thanks

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  - it'a a bug and has to be fixed by Daminion.

Relink: If you move a folder outside Daminion to another place without changing the files/metadata inside the folder (the folder can be a new disk drive) Daminion has to update the database (exchange the address of the old folder, e.g. "d:\old_folder\my_photos" with the new folder address, e.g. "x:\this_is_the_new_folder_of_my_photos".

Rescan: has more than one option to use:

• update of changes made outside of Daminion, e.g. by ExifTool. Example: I scan documents and enter the name YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.TIF in the scan program BUT the EXIF:DateTimeOriginal of the scanned document is the date of the scan - today. Then I use in Daminion the "Open with..." action to update the EXIF:DateTimeOriginal with the name of the file
    (-overwrite_original "-EXIF:datetimeoriginal<filename" "-EXIF:createdate<filename" "-XMP:createdate<filename" "-XMP:datecreated<filename" "-XMP:datetimeoriginal<filename" ).
    Now I can call either the "Read Tags from File" (if only one document) or the "Rescan Folder" action to update the Daminion database.
  • There is an already existing folder in Daminion and you moved outside Daminion new files into this folder - call "Rescan Folder" to import the new files

regards, Uwe