Metadata Writing Settings

Murat

Seems like it's time to begin filling in our empty Preferences window :)

At the moment Daminion can sync your tags with XMP/EXIF/IPTC metadata.

But because most of the tags have corresponding entries in all the metadata standards, it reflects on some poor performance for some media formats like Camera RAW files.

But, for example, updating just XMP metadata of the Camera RAW files is 10 times faster[/url] than updating IPTC of these formats. So why not to just use the modern XMP format?

Plus there is luck of metadata support for video formats, and we can write tags into .xmp sidecar files for these formats.

So, to improve the metadata writing speed and to add metadata writing capabilities for more formats we plan to add an option to customize the metadata writing. See the screenshot below:

Metadata-Settings.gif

If you have any comments/suggestions please welcome!

I would very much like this feature. My main use for Daminion is video files, and I am currently waiting on some sort of metadata support before I can really use it regularly. I tried using Adobe Bridge for a while, but it took forever to write the data into the video files. Having the data stored in a sidecar would make it much faster.

+1 from me. Fast updates are crucial. I'm playing with circa 100 files now, 57 of them were being updated for waay too long. More than 12000 files are still in my not very tidy archives, this doesn't look good.

Daminion could also write all tags to its internal database fast, in the background, not disturbing other activity. And then one button press would transfer the db data to xmp or photo files (by user choice), e.g. during morning coffee session :)

BTW - when I do anything in Daminion when its busy with updates, the update interrupts without warning.

-- M.

Daminion could also write all tags to its internal database fast, in the background, not disturbing other activity. And then one button press would transfer the db data to xmp or photo files (by user choice), e.g. during morning coffee session :)

You can turn the Auto-Sync option Off before active tag assignment, and then turn it On. (The first option in the Sync menu)

...the update interrupts without warning.

Sorry, could you please explain?

Sorry, could you please explain?

Well, I must have done something that stopped syncing (it was not the pause button), finally I ended up with not all my photos updated without any warning. Honestly, I cannot reproduce now what I did, although I promisse to be very careful as for this symptom.

-- M.

What is the behavior in the 525 build? Does it write EXIF and IPTC in addition to XMP. I have not checked.

0.9.0 (525) Beta | 06 April 2012

• Fixed: program trying to reach floppy-drive when clicking on the 'Add Files' button
  • Fixed: Incorrect reading of the Place tag when Country or State metadata fields are empty
  • Daminion updates Properties panel after clicking on the "Reading File Metadata" option

What's new

Customization of the metadata handling will be available on the next minor update.

Could you please explain in detail?

Accordiong to the screenshot I'll be able to write tags to xmp sidecar files for all photo files in my catalogs. This is fast and very convenient method. But when I want to publish my work AND decide not to strip the metadata, I'd like to have an option to move metadata stored in XMP to jpg so as to make one file with picture and metadata. My Q is: is this setting global that affects all files or will I be able to select photos and choose "Write metadata to selected jpgs" or so?

(after a minute)

This could be an option available in Export menu - metadata from xmp files would be embedded to selected jpegs during copy to another destination. Just an idea...

Regards,

-- M.

(after a minute)

This could be an option available in Export menu - metadata from xmp files would be embedded to selected jpegs during copy to another destination. Just an idea...

Yes, we plan to improve the export option and add an option to specify what metadata should be put into the exporting images.

The options that you see on the above screenshot are global, and applies to files by "Write metadata to File" command or when Auto-Sync Metadata option is turned On.