Background sync problem

lintujuh

I found a bug in the background sync process

1) I created a new catalog and added roughly 40 images into it.

2) I selected all images and in the properties dialog defined the place (all four levels country-location)

3) Clicked 'Save'

4) I didn't change the selection and added into properties an 'Event'

5) While sync was still in progress, I clicked 'Save' again

6) I waited the sync to complete

7) I created a new catalog and added the same images

8) All images were in the defined place, but only part of images had the 'Event' assigned

It would be nice to have a tool that would compare the tags in the database and in the images. There are now already options for reading the tags from images and writing the tags into images, but there is no way to detect if the images and database are in sync.

Hi Juha,

Thanks for the nice sample. Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce the issue with ~160 JPEG images. Places and Event were correctly imported to the second catalog. I had assigned an Event to the images in the middle of the previous sync process.

- With what image formats did you experiment? Please note that some media formats are not support IPTC and XMP metadata, for example BMP format. So even if an Event and a Place will be assigned to a picture in the Daminion, it will not be mapped into the file metadata.

- What Daminion build do you use?

Hi Murat,

I used JPEG images and Daminion build 494. The images had only standard camera manufacturer's EXIF information, otherwise they were "clean".

I retested my scenario with same results, but I also checked the images with exiftool. I compared information of images that have and don't have in the second catalog Event tag assigned. The result was that both images have field XMP-iptcExt.Event defined! Is there any other field I should check?

I have my test catalogs in the same directory and the images in a sub-directory. I even created a third catalog after I had checked the tags with exiftool. Result in Daminion was that the third catalog was alike the second one.

Spent 2 days to locate the issue with Event tag :wacko2: .

The problem was in the third-party graphic library that we use to process the EXIF/IPTC metadata. It incorrectly writes the User Comment into the images in some cases, and XMPToolkit was unable to read the Event tag from these images. The bug-fix also helps to avoid freezing the syncing process in some cases.

We removed an ability to map Image Description into EXIF:User Comments fields temporarily.

Juha, your photo collection helps us to locate the issue :hi:

I tried version 513 with my test data without any problems.

As I mentioned in my first post, it would be nice if there were a tool that could compare the tags in database and in the images and report the images that don't match. I could then decide for each image should the tags in the image be updated with the contents in database or vice versa.