Virtual Windows and Daminion

lintujuh

Hi,

I made a quick test yesterday and installed Daminion into a virtual Win7 environment. I used Win7 host running VirtualBox and VirtualBox Extensions making the host filesystem (or parts of it) visible to the guest os.

Installation

- the installation package failed when I tried to run it directly from the host filesystem (E: drive), but when I copied the package into the virtual C: drive installation went smoothly

Operation

- I used existing catalogs and images in the host filesystem created by the host Daminion instance

- no problems in a quick test where I only browsed and filtered the existing images

As the VirtualBox Extensions make the host filesystem look like Windows filesystem, I believe this set should also work if the images (and also the catalogs, if you want relative file paths) reside in MacOS or Linux filesystem.

Installation

- the installation package failed when I tried to run it directly from the host filesystem (E: drive), but when I copied the package into the virtual C: drive installation went smoothly

Did your user has admin rights and did you see an error message?

Could you please try to start Daminion Installation as administrator from the E: drive. On the next version we'll add the warning that Daminion requires a user with admin rights.

As the VirtualBox Extensions make the host filesystem look like Windows filesystem, I believe this set should also work if the images (and also the catalogs, if you want relative file paths) reside in MacOS or Linux filesystem.

Please share your experience with Daminion usage on the mix platform environment. Probably we could write a blog post about the best practices here.

My userid has the admin rights. The error message is "ShellExecuteEx failed; code 3. The system cannot find the path specified." But as I said, when I copied the setup.exe into C: drive, there was no problem with the installation.

I will continue my mix platform experiments I have one Linux laptop where I have a virtual Windows. I will do some testing with it and keep you informed.

For a mixed environment and Daminion Server, would it be possible to have the actual PostgreSQL database running in a different OS? There are existing builds for Linux and MacOS. When installing Daminion Server the installation could ask should Daminion install the database or should an existing database be used.

I installed Daminion in Linux (Ubuntu) host running virtual Windows7. Installation went without problems. I created two catalogs: one in the virtual environments C: and the other one in the Linux filesystem (visible as E: in Win). All my images were in Linux filesystem. I could import images and assign tags in both environments without problems and even the performance was acceptable (and I tested in a 4 years old laptop with only 2 GB RAM for both Linux and Win7).

I installed Daminion in Linux (Ubuntu) host running virtual Windows7. Installation went without problems. I created two catalogs: one in the virtual environments C: and the other one in the Linux filesystem (visible as E: in Win). All my images were in Linux filesystem. I could import images and assign tags in both environments without problems and even the performance was acceptable (and I tested in a 4 years old laptop with only 2 GB RAM for both Linux and Win7).

Great news! This can be disclosed as an article and published on our blog. Please let us know if you'll expect any issues during the Daminion usage on a VirtualPC/Linux environment.

One of our customers sent us recently a screenshot of Daminion launched on a Mac OS via Parallels.

So, I see that Daminion can be launched on Linux, Mac via virtual tools. Plus remote access to Daminion Server is possible via Comodo Unite.

We designed Daminion as an out-of-the-box product, to maximally simplify the product deployment.

But I guess it might be possible to connect to an existing PostgreSQL installation in the future Daminion versions. I can provide you more info after discussing with our software architects.